• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Premier 1U server keeps reverting to an external IP address...

iansilv

Weirdest thing- my 1U Premier server keeps changing to an external ip address outside of the range of my DHCP server... any thoughts on why?

By external IP you mean an internet routed IP? I have seen cases where the modem was plugged into the LAN instead of the WAN and external addresses were given to local devices. If it's a locally routed address (rfc1918) this indicates you have another DHCP server on the network. In that case you can either sniff the traffic and lookup the vendor registered for the MAC address of the DHCP server that's assigning the IPs or assign yourself an IP on that range and visit port 80/443 on the gateway. The DHCP server will likely be the gateway in simple network and typically will have a WebUI or SSH open.

By external IP you mean an internet routed IP? I have seen cases where the modem was plugged into the LAN instead of the WAN and external addresses were given to local devices. If it's a locally routed address (rfc1918) this indicates you have another DHCP server on the network. In that case you can either sniff the traffic and lookup the vendor registered for the MAC address of the DHCP server that's assigning the IPs or assign yourself an IP on that range and visit port 80/443 on the gateway. The DHCP server will likely be the gateway in simple network and typically will have a WebUI or SSH open.

Thank you. I ended up rebooting the server a couple fo times and it works now... not sure how the issue came up but everything is fine now.

Issue is back. I reboot the 1U, and after a while it reverts to a random external ip address. I have configured it for a fixed internal ip address.

I there any known issue where the 1U server can give off a random external ip address?

Here is a screenshot with the 1U at the top:

A8884E40-8209-4343-A698-A13DDE93226C.jpg

That is not an external ip address, that is an Automatic Private Address (anything that starts with 169.x.x.x), see here: https://packetlife.net/blog/2008/sep/24/169-254-0-0-addresses-explained/

I think your k server is having trouble getting a DHCP address assignment from your router for some reason. I would just set the k server to a static address high up in the range of addresses in your local subnet (say 192.168.2.250 in your case) to avoid collisions with other DHCP assigned addresses. In you router, you may be able to set the scope of addresses that can he handed out by DHCP to exclude some addresses for static assignment.

This is how it is and has been configured, and it still throws up the private ip after some time. When I reboot it uses this ip address:

3F40128F-B7D8-4A2B-83F6-13C6BB00B425.jpg

Are you certain that nothing else is trying to use 192.168.2.11 via DHCP while you have that address statically assigned in your server? Can you setup a static DHCP reservation in your router for the server's MAC address and then statically assign that IP address in the server's UI also? I would think that would solve any IP address conflicts with almost 100% certainty.

Taking a step back... When this happens do the players lose connection to the server?

I have it reserved in the router already. I am using all Ubiquiti networking equipment. And when it does lose I get a message saying the player is having trouble reading the media and it errors out to the "can't connect to the server" error.

Strange... I use Ubiquiti gear also. I run an EdgeRouter Lite along with an EdgeSwitch 24 Lite. I have all my k gear on its own VLAN and the router has a static DHCP assignment for each component. I have never had any hiccups with this arrangement. I want to say that your network is not the problem so you might want to ask k support for help.

The only other thing you could try if you have an old router laying around is to hook up all the k gear to that. Then connect that router's WAN port to your main network and try that arrangement for a few days or weeks to see if the problem follows along to a completely different network setup.

It is so weird- it's like it flickers between that private IP and the one it is assigned in the Unifi app.

I think I will try setting up a dedicated VLAN.

Back