• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Power Supply for original K-Scape player 1st Generation

karmar831

Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Hi,
Two of my original Kaleidescape players (no import drawer) power supplies have gone kaput! The European distributor wants ?650 + tax (23%!) to repair! What a rip off.
Does anyone have any specs or electrical drawings of the power supply in these early ones, so I can fix it for virtually nothing! Well it may cost ?50, but nothing compared to these bandits!
Thanks

the minute i find the answer I will let you know. I have dismantled the power supplies from the case, look simple enough - off to the tv repair man!

Hi Guys,

I have had power supplies go out on me on my K2500s also. I ordered a power supply repair kit (includes Power Supply replacement board and fan) as a kit from KScape. I am sure if you contact them that they can provide the correct part number for this kit since I don't currently remember it right now. It also included the special wrench for the security screw. This kit cost in the area of $50.00 and was probably a little more with taxes and shipping, but if memory serves me correctly, it was in this price range.

You know, since you have yours apart, that it is a simple repair job. Mine took me less than an hour and that included taking from and to the rack that they were mounted in.

Let me know if you have some other questions that I may be able to answer with my limited knowledge.

Thanks again and good luck,
Paul

Paul is correct:

SVC-KIT-0010
Service Kit: KPLAYER-2500
Power Supply and Fan
MSRP: 50.00 (US)

If you can't acquire from a EU dealer or directly from K, let me know.

Kevin D.

Thanks for the info,i need a power supply kit for my C1 & was quoted around ?500 + vat(20%) for a repair by 2 local dealers in Scotland.(Yeah,nowhere rips you off quite like the UK)

Yeah the European distributors like to rip off their dealers, who, unwittingly are ripping off the client.
Come on Kaleidescape, jump on these BANDITS! When we sell Kaleidescape products we earn a decent margin, but the distributors then try to up their margins for after sales. If a K product goes wrong (unlikely) then the customer deserves a decent price for repair, after all he has invested in your system!

I recently, thanks to Kevin D, got two original K-Players new power supplies, plus shipping to UK for just over USD120. I repaired the clients players, and for each one charged the clients €135. This covered my service call out initially, collection of the units from their houses, post on the forum to get the power supplies from Kevin D, send to Uk then onto me in S. Europe, replace the power supplies deliver and reinstall at the clients house (5 mins away). Not a huge profit, but the clients were delighted. The distributor had told me to up sell the client new units or I could get them repaired for €650 each (probably the profit they make on a new unit) + VAT - cost to me! If I had done that, then the client would have had to pay 30% on top - RIP OFF!

I suspect the dealer was just clueless and quoted for the "Minor Repair" service where minor faults on out of warranty equipment are repaired by Kaleidescape for you.

FYI, power supplies ("service kits") are available for Kplayer2500/5000/Music-4000/6000 and the 1U server at reasonable prices.

I can put you in contact with a clue-ful UK dealer who would be more help if you need in the future !

R

Yeah my quote was for the "Minor Repair" service which i went for in the end,because upon opening up my C1 the power supply was working fine & i discovered a rather serious looking burnt circuit board!!
My dealer sent it to K & about 2 weeks later they sent back a refurbed C1 chassis + a 1 year warranty and a bill for ?450 inc Vat + Delivery which was better than i was expecting.

Back