• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Playback Issue

AdamGT3

On the odd film here and there - as of now Star Trek Generations the video is played as if its a 4:3 film, with th black bars all around the picture. Its actually the Region 1 Widescreen version.

Most films are fine its just the odd one that does this played via the M500 player.

Any help or suggestions?

TIA

There are some films that are not anamorphic widescreen but are instead a 4:3 presentation with the film letterboxed inside that frame. It causes bars on all 4 sides on a widescreen display - often called windowboxing.

It is annoying but we don't have the authority to shoot the people who master films like that so all we can do is refuse to buy them and return them as defective if you get suckered on one.

Hello Adam,

I agree with Mr. Poindexter that it sounds like this is a letterboxed 4:3 movie. The disc was authored with black bars above and below a 4:3 image, and then the player has added black bars to the left and right because it is set to not stretch 4:3 movies horizontally.

The M500 Player should "zoom in" on letterboxed 4:3 movies, filling as much of the screen as possible. However, it can only do this if there is information in the Kaleidescape Movie Guide to indicate that the movie is letterboxed. Is there a "Play Movie" option for Star Trek Generations, or just "Play Disc?" If there is not a "Play Movie" option, it's a good indication that the movie hasn't been completely processed by our Movie Guide team, which would explain your experience. See www.kaleidescape.com/loan for details on loaning us the disc so we can add the information to our database.

Best regards,
Tom

The problem with zooming in on those titles is the picture quality is atrocious compared to an anamorphic DVD.

Agreed. Isnt there a way to tell the player you have a 4x3 tv only for movies of this type?

Also I would think this is an older version of Generations as the latest versions of it are anamorphic 2.35. I know the version I have at home is. As annoying as this sounds, the simplest solution might be to go and get a new copy.

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/startrek7ce.php

Thanks for all the replies.

It is the original Region 1 DVD bought when first released. I will order the new version tonight.

When set to stretch 4:3 it does stretch the image but as Mr. Poindexter mentioned the picture quality is shocking on a large screen.

Thanks again.

Yeah, I had that same issue with Armageddon and also with Tombstone. There were a couple other discs, but those I remember well because they had so much repeat viewing value.

hehehe- backhanded dig at ST:G. I agree it wasnt the best movie but there are elements to it that have redemptive value.

In essence the non anamprohic dvds have 33% less vertical resolution.

Back