• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Play disc vs Episode selection

M

myiironu

Sometimes, after importing box sets of popular TV shows, I have the option of playing an episode or playing a disc. Some discs within the box set will allow me to play an episode while others allow me to only play the disc with no episodes available. In some cases, a few seasons will import allowing me to play episodes while other seasons will only allow playing the disc.

I would always prefer the option to play an episode.

I live in London, UK, and box sets purchased in the UK/EU with this issue include The Golden Girls, King of Queens, Cheers, Cold Feet etc...

I have tried to manually enter the UPC code for those 'play disc only' seasons but this does not resolve the problem.

Is there a way to import discs so that the correct information is downloaded to allow me to select each episode? I think this is called Episode Bookmarks??

Does anyone else have this issue and is there a resolution?

Thank you.

You can only play episodes if the disc has been loaned to K for bookmarking. Entering the UPC just helps them get the top-level meta-information (title, main actors, director, etc.) entered.

Is that right? I assumed that entering the UPC also gives them the data they need to acquire the disc on their own. Sure if it's really obscure, then borrowing from a user may be the best option, but for more mainstream discs, wouldn't they just buy it or get it from the studio?

Anything is possible, and this is the time of year where buying new is probably cheaper than shipping. Though I would hope they finish getting every other studio out there, so it just becomes an issue of alternate pressings or store exclusives.

As slow as titles used to slip off my missing bookmarks list, I haven't enough history to know whether it was limited purchasing or limited loaning.

The reply from K Support was helpful:

For titles that you have entered the UPC code and 4-6 weeks later you still only have the ‘play disc’ option, you can send an email to loan@kaleidescape.com to have them manually processed.

http://www.kaleidescape.com/go/loan (for more information on the loan program)

But I notice a $10 per disc processing fee. Rather steep considering once processed, I assume the info is available to all via the Music Guide.

But I am still confused as to why Seasons 3 and 5 of a popular box set, for example, include bookmark data to play an episode but Seasons 1, 2 and 4 do not allow me to play a disc only.

Back