• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Pianomation CDs

Rosebud

I'm looking for some advice on categorizing unique CDs. I own a Pianomation player piano system. I can play specially coded CDs that have an encoded signal that allows for background music to play on my stereo while my Piano automatically plays its part of the same music. The CDs are all stored on my Kaleidescape system and one of my music channels is routed to this unique system. The interface is via Crestron touchpads. It's all very nice and functions well.

My challenge is with configuring the library. These specially coded CDs make a horrible noise if played through a standard stereo channel (rather than my specially configured Pianomation channel). Ideally, there would be a way to restrict these CDs only to that one K-channel but I don't believe there is a way to do this. I have a collection defined in which I categorize all the special Pianomation CDs. This is satisfactory if I am trying to find one of these CDs. However, it does not prevent some unknowing soul from inadvertently selecting the CD for a non-Pianomation channel and creating the horrible noise. For example, the user cannot easily distinguish the Diana Krall Pianomation CD from the standard Diana Krall CD. This has happened several times.

I am considering placing a qualifier (such as "PN") at the beginning of every artist and album title. Thus, these would all sort to the same location on the Crestron touchpads and it would be easy to tell a user just not to select these unless they are headed to the Pianomation channel. So, for example, the Diana Krall standard CD would be filed under 'K' for Krall while the Diana Krall Pianomation CD would be filed under "PN Diana Krall."

Before I embarked on this activity, however, I thought I would see if others on this forum had ideas on how to approach this.

Thank you for any assistance.

I did the exact same thing for my DTS CDs. The horrible noise is the fact that the DACs can't make heads or tails of the signal and thus produce garbage.

i would guess that a good programmer (lots of programming to do this) would be able to parse names and either not play these under normal circumstances, OR, have a pop up that gives a warning or something like that.

A bit of work to figure out at the front end, but a nice add on for a programmer to sell afterwards.

although i would call K and ask them about it. their programmer (while having a rather odd choice in cars :) ) is pretty good at solving issues like that, and there are likely other K customers with similar issues, or would make use of it if they knew they could.

Actually, it's a shame parental controls don't apply to music. If they DID then you could set the rating of those pianomatipn discs to NC-17 and then that level could be hidden from all players until you enter the highest-level parental control password. Would accomplish exactly what you want. But so far, K doesn't apply parental controls to music.

Might be worth posting that request over on the feature requests area of this board. We know they do read this forum and they've even granted a few of our "wishes" in the past. I'd support the request - I have some CDs that I actually would like to rate as inappropriate for my kids.

--josh

Good suggestion Josh.

Besides putting DTS in the title, on my DTS CDs, I also post a note in the description that the "disc" should only be played in my media room.

Back