• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

• 🔷Why can't I make a new post here in "The Marketplace"? 🤔

All registered users can reply to other members' posts here in the Marketplace, to respond as potential buyer or ask questions of the seller.
    However, only members who have paid to become "Premium" members or "Patrons" can make a new "for sale" post here in Marketplace.

Premium memberships can be purchased for as little as $10... a very reasonable fee in order to sell equipment here, far lower than the seller's fee would be on eBay or Audiogon or other sites. Our site doesn't sell ads or sell user's information. This small fee is the only source of funds for the site to offset the costs it takes to run the forum.

For more information on purchasing a Premium or Patron membership, please see the Account Upgrades section of your user profile.

SOLD: Pass Labs XVR-1 Active Crossover

Substance

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I have one of these in near brand new condition for sale. I bought it a few years ago to experiment with my electrostats and maybe put 20-30 hours total. Past 4 years, its been in storage. I have the original box (even the double shipping box from the factory), all content, all notes, and papers included. I believe it is now discontinued and very rare in the used market.

It is by far the best active crossover ever made with pure class A design by the legendary Nelson Pass. It comes with it own linear power supply on a separate chassis. I am looking to get $4,000 for it. Located in the Orange County, California. I will update with more info and pictures soon.

Is the unit still for sale? Do you know where I might find a 2nd unit as I may want to implement a 3 way crossover.

It is for sale. From what I understand they made these to order or in extremely small batches. It was difficult to find one even during its production. If you go to DIY forums that Nelson Pass contributed, he talked about this product a lot during its development. This crossover was originally made for the original Rushmore speakers and Nelson decided to sell additional stand alone unit due to high demand. Try reaching out to the manufacturer? They might make a second unit for you.

What kind of speakers do you have?

I already checked with Nelson, he doesn’t have any left and is not longer making them. I have TAD R1s. Andrew Jones, the designer, has been helping with tri-amping them, primarily focused on DSP crossovers. But alternatively we could potentially use an XVR1 to divide the signal between the woofer and the coax, and use a custom two way passive crossover just for the coax. Could I put a hold on this for a few days while I check with Andrew on whether we can use the XVR1?

Check with Andrew. I am curious what he thinks as well.

I am an ECE but not a speaker designer. Certainly not in the same experience level as Andrew. From my understanding, the active crossover is the only way to split your amps therefore splitting the energy in the analog domain without a/d and d/a conversations in the chain. This is a super clean class A design so it’s super transparent too.

From my calculations, if you take a 20 to 20k signal and split them at around 360Hz, the amount of energy between the two are equal. You can use matching amps and quadruple their headroom for the transients. Like Andrew said, you can use a passive LC circuits for the higher octaves as at these frequencies, you are dealing with much lower energy and they are more forgiving on the phase shift and alike issues unlike the bass region.

I looked into Bryston, JL Audio and a few others. Nothing came close to the Pass one. I would definitely ignore the digital crossovers except only in the lowest octave region and only for a low pass.

let me know what you find out. I just listed this a few days ago. If anyone else reaches out, I will keep it on hold until you decide.

Andrew feels this is the optimal solution. I’ve never purchased anything on this forum, please advise on next steps. Consider it sold. Thanks.

Back