• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Out of service for 5U to 3U?

ptrubey

Wow, looks like doing a K server to K server import for a 5U to 3U conversion takes many days. And to make it worse, it seems that the 5U cannot be used while the import is taking place, making the system inaccessable until the transfer is done. Any reason for this?

K set up the migration to be a dedicated process, and although I have not asked the "why" question, it seems logical that risking the movement of all data between servers (there is ALWAYS risk) is lessened to some extent by making the process as clean and uncomplicated as possible. Just a guess.

Jim

Why would there be risk unless the migration deletes the movies off the old server as it transfers them to the new server? Uh, unless that's what they do?

May also depend in part on whether it is a straight copy-paste or a psuedo rebuild across the network. While I would certainly hope not the latter, you still would not want to unduly "stress" the new server or take up bandwidth better spent getting data from point-A to point-B. The other possibility I can think of is due to the default behavior of importing to wherever there is more space, which I would think could be fixed by a flag set in the server during the process that says "I'm Full" or "Do not import here."

Either way, yeah, I would hope it runs a checksum or five on the new server before deleting from the old one.

I will say at the outset that I am no computer expert. But it strikes me that you really need the system locked to prevent any changes from occurring while the data is being copied/migrated to the new server. Let's put importing new movies to the side. (I would assume that one clearly would not want the system to be adding information to the hard drive array while you are trying to migrate data from the array.) Doesn't the system record certain information if you play a movie and doesn't that information have to be recorded on the hard drive. For instance, doesn't the system keep track of where you have paused a movie.

Further, copying RAIDs--especially ones with many terabytes of data--will take a long time. I assume that this K-Scape migration process also takes place over a network. If so, the speed limitations of a network -- even a gigabit switch -- will reduce the "copy rate" even further (as compared to a direct disk to disk transfer).

Just my random thoughts. In any event, here is hoping that the migration will finish soon so that you can have full enjoyment of your K-Scape.

Wow... didn't know that. What's the process like? Could you have asked for it done with just a group of movies first? or is it an "all or nothing" type of thing with no options?

I've yet to see the interface for this customer-initiated server migrations, so would be great if you can give some details of how it works.

(hey, what else do you have to do in that time you'd otherwise be watching movies! ;) )

You should still be able to use the 3U server (the server being replicated *to*). You just can't use the 5U server (the one being replicated).

You should still be able to use the 3U server (the server being replicated *to*). You just can't use the 5U server (the one being replicated).

That's right. I lucked out because I had two 5U's going to two 3U's. I unclustered the 5U's and replicated them seperately so that I was never without access to my library. The only issue was having to switch the players between the two sources.

Further, copying RAIDs--especially ones with many terabytes of data--will take a long time. I assume that this K-Scape migration process also takes place over a network. If so, the speed limitations of a network -- even a gigabit switch -- will reduce the "copy rate" even further (as compared to a direct disk to disk transfer).
The transfer rate is about 6 movies an hour according to Kaleidescape. Of course your milage may very.

is there any ability to control what movies are done in what order? or prioritize, or group them and just do part of the library first? what's the UI like?

You can select which movies to move over, however that adds to the complexity of the process. The easiest way is just select all and copy over.

The only way to avoid copying *all* of your content is to drag titles into the trash (and then restore them once replication is complete). Otherwise, it's an all-or-nothing process.

Sorry, one more question on this, as I may be doing it myself soon. While the transfer is happening, I understand you can play back movies/music that have finished being moved... playback from the destination server is available. Is Importing also available during transfer, putting new content directly onto the new destination server or another server in the home that ISN'T a part of the transfer?

Sorry, one more question on this, as I may be doing it myself soon. While the transfer is happening, I understand you can play back movies/music that have finished being moved... playback from the destination server is available. Is Importing also available during transfer, putting new content directly onto the new destination server or another server in the home that ISN'T a part of the transfer?

Yes. You have full access (including importing) to all servers other than the source server.

Back