• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

On-screen Mix-Album Editing

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
As we all (should) know by now, Kaleidescape has a "hidden" feature (accessed via a set of keypresses) in System v3.2 that allows you to edit playlists using the TV-UI.

If you haven't read about how to enable it, see this:
Well, despite my initial excitement about this feature, now that I've actually tried to use it in real-world use, I think it still needs some work.

The main problem is this: When you're in "Edit Mix Album" mode, you can't "preview" tracks before you add them to a mix list... there's no way to play a track and hear it. So, unless you know exactly which tracks you want by name, you must keep exiting edit mode, play a track to see if it's one you want, then turn edit mode back on. It's a real pain...

Last weekend, we had 20 people over for a pool party, so I decided to create a mix album of good pool-party music. I entered the secret keypress and created a new mix album... then started browsing through songs. What I desperately wanted was a way to bring up some albums, genres, etc... and click through a few songs, previewing them, and then if they seemed to fit the mood, add them to the mix list. No can do...

Which Maroon 5, Squeeze, Los Lonely Boys, and UB40 songs would fit the mood? I knew there were some good ones on the albums I had, but didn't know the albums well enough to know by name the right tracks.

I couldn't just scan down the list and press "Play" to check one out. It becomes an incredibly tedious to enter "music playing mode", find an appropriate song, switch to "edit" mode, add it to the play list, then back to "play mode" to find the next one.

I strongly recommend they add a simple "play track" command when you're in "edit mode" to make this feature FAR more usable...

--josh

I agree. It'd be nice to be able to preview music via the interface prior to putting it into the mix.

Is there a way to have the K'Scape automatically shuffle mix albums instead of having to do it manually?

Actually, this is a very old thread, and I'm pleased to say that this is one case where Kaleidescape really listened to the feedback and DID add previewing functions for onscreen mix album editing. you can press play any time while editing a mix album to preview the track. I think this came in v 3.5, but I can't recall for sure.

As for the 2nd question, yes, mix albums have a "random" option you can pick from the Now Playing screen to shuffle the songs.

Actually, this is a very old thread, and I'm pleased to say that this is one case where Kaleidescape really listened to the feedback and DID add previewing functions for onscreen mix album editing. you can press play any time while editing a mix album to preview the track. I think this came in v 3.5, but I can't recall for sure.

As for the 2nd question, yes, mix albums have a "random" option you can pick from the Now Playing screen to shuffle the songs.

Can you preview music thru the web based utility?

Back