• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Old 4tb hard drives

dthemenice

I have 4, 4tb hard drives that I replaced with 6tb drives in my 1u. Since they were apart of the same system originally, can they now be put in a different 1u or 3u server shell since they will still be grouped together? Or were they tied to the original 1u serial number and would have to be reinitialized, even though Kscape does not do that anymore?

Yes, they can be moved to another Server (1U or 3U), provided:

1. You move the full drive set (all 4 drives) to the new server.
2. The Server you are moving to is empty (no drives). (Obviously the case when moving 4 drives to a 1U.)

Reinitialization is only needed when you are breaking up the drive set (i.e. making them "individual" drives again), it's not necessary when moving the full drive set to an empty Server. (Keep in mind that K will only reinitialize drives that are still under warranty, and there are fees involved.)

Jim

Yes, they can be moved to another Server (1U or 3U), provided:

1. You move the full drive set (all 4 drives) to the new server.
2. The Server you are moving to is empty (no drives). (Obviously the case when moving 4 drives to a 1U.)

Reinitialization is only needed when you are breaking up the drive set (i.e. making them "individual" drives again), it's not necessary when moving the full drive set to an empty Server. (Keep in mind that K will only reinitialize drives that are still under warranty, and there are fees involved.)

Jim
If moving to a 3U empty shell, then can brand new drives be added later?

I have 4, 4tb hard drives that I replaced with 6tb drives in my 1u.
I would think it depends on how you did this. If you did a straight replication, then the array can be moved around as a set and grown within a 3U. However, if you took the force-fail method, then aren't they married differently now (ABCD, WBCD, WXCD, and WXYD) and require re-initialization?

I would think it depends on how you did this. If you did a straight replication, then the array can be moved around as a set and grown within a 3U. However, if you took the force-fail method, then aren't they married differently now (ABCD, WBCD, WXCD, and WXYD) and require re-initialization?

This is correct. If you replaced the 4TB drives with the 6TB drives one at a time and did a disk rebuild then the 4TB drives will need to be reinitialised.

As for putting the old 4 drives in a 3U chassis, this will work but the system will report that it is running without a hotspare. If/when you start adding additional drives, the first one you add will become the hotspare and no additional space will be gained.

This is correct. If you replaced the 4TB drives with the 6TB drives one at a time and did a disk rebuild then the 4TB drives will need to be reinitialised.

As for putting the old 4 drives in a 3U chassis, this will work but the system will report that it is running without a hotspare. If/when you start adding additional drives, the first one you add will become the hotspare and no additional space will be gained.

That's what I was afraid of I did them one at a time.

Back