• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

nuts and bolts info?

Hi All,

I am looking at used Kaleidescape kits on both here and other places, I wondered if someone could offer some thoughts.

So let's say I choose a server + a player, the player located near my plasma panel so I can just run HDMI and the server with all the other kit. Here's a few questions:

What network connection type is required between server + player and does it need to be on it's own (V)LAN?
I can see that should drives fail, I can purchase replacements from K'scape but do these disks contain the OS or just the film/music data?
If just the media data and the internal disk dies, how do I replace that? (former sysadmin and worried about disk failure and not being able to boot the damned thing)

Are using third-party disks acceptable? I would suspect they're not supported but are the drives SATA or another format?

There's an old server listed on ebay without hard disks and not booting, i suspect it's a PSU issue, if it isn't, can K'scape send me the parts needed to repair it should I wish or do I have to send it to them?

many thanks in advance,
JT

We typically connect all K components through a central switch (with Cat 5e, or Cat 6). Some of us have elected to setup VLAN's because of the size/complexity of our networks, but it is NOT necessary for networking a K system.

Replacement drives are normally blank (they can contain the file system if necessary). The K Server will rebuild the content from a failed drive in a number of ways. If the drive failed in a 3U Server, and assuming a "hot spare" is available in the Server, it will rebuild the content to the HS. It will also rebuild the content to a blank drive, if available in the Server, and it will rebuild to a replacement drive installed in place of the failed drive.

Content is actually spread out amongst all the drives. KRAID has no problem rebuilding content to a failed drive. The Server does not power down during a drive failure.

Third party drives will not work. You must use only K drives purchased through K or someone selling used K drives (after they have been reinitialized by K so they can be used in a different Server). Used drives do not need to be reinitialized if the receiving Server is empty (no drives) and it will be receiving a full set of used drives (meaning all the used drives that were in a different Server are now being placed in the receiving Server).

Power supply service kits are available from K to repair some of the older components. Check with K for availability. Bigger issues would require sending the component to K for repair.

Be careful with ebay, I personally know of several scams involving the sale of K components. Always ask for a component serial number, and run that thru K to verify it is real. K cannot provide info deemed private (personal, etc.), but they may be able to tell you something about the component. At the very least they can verify if it's a real component.

Hope that helps!

Jim

Just to add in- while drives do sometimes fail- Id think it would be an extremely rare circumstance where all drives fail at the same time. The system is pretty robust in terms of protection. I think you'd need two of the active drives to fail at the exact same time to give you a problem- I say active drives because the system has a "hot spare" that is ready to step in in case a drive fails. Kaleidescape uses enterprise level drives which are less prone to failure. That said- I've had to replace several drives over the years but Ive never lost any data.

It might be worth checking out the FAQ on the Kaleidescape website:

www.kaleidescape.com/faq/

There is a good explanation on how reliable storage is achieved. There is also a section giving guidance on network requirements. "The network must be at least 100Base-TX and must be 1000Base-T to play two or more Blu-ray movies at once."

Back