• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

No sound on Dolby Digital

kartono

Hi All,

I can not get the sound when playing back DVD with Dolby Digital sound with my M500.
As for rest of the formats like Dolby True HD or DTS HD are working properly.
Fyi I use M500 with either Krell S1200 or Cary Cinema 11A surround processor connected via HDMi cable ( audio setting on the M500 is bit stream / receiver support).

Does anybody have encounter this issue ?
Any suggestion ?

Regards,
Kartono Ali

Could it be an EDID issue? Try changing the settings for what your receiver supports in the M500 audio settings page on the installer web page.

I think that Jerry is correct in his suspicion of an EDID problem. Here is an article from our Knowledge Base article K002174 regarding the required EDID overrides for the Krell Evolution 707, which I suspect may carry over for the S1200. I am not aware of an EDID problem with the Cary Cinema 11A. Can you try these settings with both devices and post your results?

To play both DVDs and Blu-ray Discs with lossless audio with a Krell Evolution 707 without having to reconfigure the Krell for each different soundtrack type, configure the M-Class player in the browser interface installer pages:
(1) set the "HDMI audio decode mode" to "Bitstream pass-through"; and
(2) under Advanced Audio Settings, locate "HDMI capability override" and set both "Dolby Digital" and "DTS" to "Receiver does not support".
These settings force the M-Class player to decode Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks and send them as PCM.
Configure the Krell Evolution 707 to HDMI Auto (HDMI-A) mode.

http://www.kaleidescape.com/support/knowledgebase.php?article_id=50150000000Mo6C

Tom Barnett
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Assuming an audio processor supports the latest codecs, does sending it bitstream digital from the source have any benefit over sending digital pcm?
And I know this is off topic, but when an M-Class player is set to output PCM, when the source material is encoded as DTS-HDMA is it decoding only the lossy DTS core part of the audio track? Are you ending up with PCM audio of DVD quality, or better than DVD quality?
And for the Halcro processors in particular, in "menu>source setup", if you set HDMI input to MPCM, with the M-Class player set to always output PCM, for DVD content playback from the server will the Halcro accept that decoded audio signal or will you be met with silence?

Yes. You have it right- as we have discussed many times- the M class can only decode the core. I don't know but I believe the core is better than DVD quality but its not going to be as good as the full lossless quality. For that you have to output the bitstream. The problem is with the EDID (extended display Id data) sometimes things get confused. I really appreciate K's ability to manually override it.

Yes. You have it right- as we have discussed many times- the M class can only decode the core. I don't know but I believe the core is better than DVD quality but its not going to be as good as the full lossless quality. For that you have to output the bitstream. The problem is with the EDID (extended display Id data) sometimes things get confused. I really appreciate K's ability to manually override it.

Hmmm...interesting, so does that mean that one needs to have the M player send out the bitstream signal...

@Jerry:

1. The "core" is better than the "standard" because it is "less lossy"; and

2. Then, for your M system, ho do you decode the bitsream before it hits the HD621 on its way to the 861?

Thanks,

Joel

Joel,
Interesting- I thought the core was about the same as DD+ but I don't know. My own listening tests, totally unscientific, without expensive cables and golden ears :) say that the core is better than garden variety DD (I think some DVDs eventually got to 448kps DD but many were 384kps (is that the right number?).

As to the how do you decode the bitstream for Meridian, have a look below. I have created a solution:

http://www.kscapeowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862

I don't take no for an answer. :)

Back