• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

No IP address due to internet failure

flitebynite

Hello all,
I have a situation with my K premiere system.
My internet provider is out of service for a while due to a local weather event in Oklahoma.
I have the system powered up and set to DHCP but the components aren't talking to each other, because nothing can get an IP address.
Is it possible to get the components to talk to each other in this configuration?
Or, can I set a fixed IP configuration to overcome this situation?
Also, if I need to set a fixed IP address, how do I do that if I can't connect to it through the browser interface?
I've only been without my system for a day but I miss it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Chris

Last edited:
Hey Chris,

Typically the DHCP server is on your local network and does not rely on your internet provider, but I suspect you may be using their cable modem/router (or some device provided by them) to perform this task. Before you change any IP settings you should check with your dealer to make sure it won't break your control system or potentially something else in your system.

If you decide to proceed, be sure you know what you're doing and get yourself the proper serial cable (if you don't already have one). Then you can use the following instructions:

Alternatively, you could get yourself a cheap wireless router and temporarily use its DHCP server.

Good luck,
Andy

Power and internet restored at my place.
All is well now.
You should still investigate this so it doesn’t happen again if your internet service provider has a failure. Last summer my internet service was out for a week due to a short in the cable coming into the house and through the wall. While the internet was down waiting to run a new cable I was still able to use my Kaleidescape system without any problems. I’d reach out to your dealer about this and figure out the cause to prevent future issues.

You should still investigate this so it doesn’t happen again if your internet service provider has a failure. Last summer my internet service was out for a week due to a short in the cable coming into the house and through the wall. While the internet was down waiting to run a new cable I was still able to use my Kaleidescape system without any problems. I’d reach out to your dealer about this and figure out the cause to prevent future issues.
Thanks for the insight

I second what [mention]thrillcat [/mention] said. If your network is set up in a typical fashion, the internet going down would do nothing more than kill the connection to the Store and any software/movie guide updates.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If your router from the internet provider is also your dhcp server there could have been a need to reboot the router other than that it is as Andy says above it is store access you lose but the components in your house should continue to work as normal.

The only other thought is that the dhcp server ran out of free addresses and whilst a reboot or altering the dhcp lease time would fix it you would still need to review the dhcp log file normally created to see if this was the case.

I disconnected the internet from my system and everything functioned normally. I did not lose IP addresses for any components. I guess due to the power loss and the system running on the generator, there was another missing component that I didn't realize.
Everything is running normally now that power and internet have been restored in our area.
Thank you everyone for the help...
Tornadoes suck!

Back