• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Newbie Needs Help

BrentFord

Hey everyone! We are just completing our home theater and I have decided I want to add Kaleidescape system. Due to budget constraints, I will have to buy used equipment. I believe I understand the risk associated, but I am unsure of what equipment would best suit my needs. I'm hoping you guys can help as I don't want to contact a dealer because I'd be wasting their time unless they have used equipment for sale.

I will definitely buy a Strato as I want 4k capabilities, BUT I also have a decent sized collection of DVD/Blu-rays that I don't want to purchase again. I probably have 250-300 movies 60/40 DVD to Blu-ray mix with a handful being 4k. I see some units are "grandfathered" allowing you to import your own discs, but I don't know the advantages or drawbacks of doing so. I also read something about where you can pay $6/movie to add (digitally I assume) movies you already own to your K system???

In addition to the Strato... what equipment should I purchase to provide a seamless experience with the interface regardless of if the movie was purchased digitally via the Strato, imported from my current disc collection, or in a vault?

At this point, the K system will just be for our dedicated home theater so no need to network to other places in our home.

Thank you in advance!
Brent

Last edited:
I also forgot to mention... I don't want to sacrifice picture or audio quality. If spending a little more money gets a better quality picture and better sound, I'd rather go that route. Thanks again!

I've sent you a private message (conversation). (You have a lot there, easier to explain by phone, but I'm sure others will comment as well.)

Jim

Brent,
I had the exact same questions as you 5 months ago and now have a full Premiere and Encore setup. I'd be more than happy to answer your questions, and as Jim said, it's way easier to answer these over the phone. I've sent you a private message with my contact.

What the heck, I'll be a rebel and answer openly, although part of it depends on what you would expect your collection to look like in the future.

Based on existing needs, you should be able to fit all the legacy content on an Alto, which would also give you a slot-reader if rental disks are still a thing in your setup or for D2D cataloging. You will also need a vault for BD presence. Depending on if, and if so how much (and how quickly) you expect this aspect to grow would impact whether a player/server setup makes more sense. You will also need a Co-Star (or capable receiver/pre-pro) to tie the player into the 4k-side.

On the 4k front, it would again depend on how quickly you expect things to grow. I am guessing you could use any of the Stratos in the short-term. However, depending on how much store content (particularly 4k) you expect, then it may make more sense to skip straight to a Terra/Strato-C combination, even if only a single zone.

A few other points:
  • Grandfathering only relates to being able to import protected/commercial DVDs.
  • Disc-to-digital is only available on some content. Sadly, it is not available as a straight tokenization of imported content to free-up vault slots.
  • Existing digital rights, such as from UV, currently have no way to be brought in. You should check out/skim over the K movie store to see what your options might be.

Question I came across talking with Brent, if he bought a Premiere grandfathered system, can he do digital purchases/downloads (disc to digital or outright purchases) in 4K- even without an Encore system? The theory behind this is so the 4K rights are available for when Brent purchases an Encore setup in the future, and to just download the associated HD quality film in the meantime to the Premiere system.

Question I came across talking with Brent, if he bought a Premiere grandfathered system, can he do digital purchases/downloads (disc to digital or outright purchases) in 4K- even without an Encore system? The theory behind this is so the 4K rights are available for when Brent purchases an Encore setup in the future, and to just download the associated HD quality film in the meantime to the Premiere system.

Yes this is exactly what I did until I purchased a Strato this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any Store account can purchase all the way up 4K, but as noted by others above, the content available within the multiple resolutions depends on the components currently in your system. If you purchase a UHD or HDR movie, it more likely than not comes with the HD copy as well, and may also include SD (this is likely Studio controlled). Once purchased you can download any of those resolutions provided you have the correct component in your system (i.e. a Strato for UHD).

Jim

I have a ~300 disc collection, mostly Blu-ray with some DVD and 4K dicss thrown in. I purchased a used Alto and cataloged my entire collection. That alone was game changing. I then pulled my discs from their clamshell cases and put them into a folder-type system. That made storing them much easier. And, my whole family can sit in front of the TV and use the Kaleidescape to check out our movie library. I then added a Strato 12TB player.

The Kaleidescape system has all but replaced my bluray player. If something comes up on disc, I can watch it through the Alto (as long as it's not a 4k disc). It's become a form of weekly entertainment now to check out what movies or disc to digital offiers I want to take advantage of as I slowly move my collection over to Kaleidescape. Plus I've picked up new titles I didn't have.

I think your plan is great and an excellent way to dip your proverbial toes into Kaleidescape. As for me, I'm already down to room for only ~57 more 4k movies or 166 Bluray movies (which can be stored on the Alto, so maybe "and" vs "or"). I LOVE this system. It's a movie-lovers dream!

If you haven't called Jim yet, I urge you to do so. He's an incredible resource, and one of those people you just genuinely enjoy talking to!

Thanks for the kind comment Garrett, glad you're enjoying your system!

Jim

Back