• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New to Kscape and lots of questions

USAMP411

Good morning all!! I am new to the kscape community, though I have been creeping for a number of years. I have just purchased a few used pieces that includes a 1u server, m700 vault and an M500 player. Have a chance to get a 3u and maybe a dv700 as well. I have a ton of old dvd's and a hundred or so BR. Not overly concerned about 4k at the moment. Quite honestly just looking for a way to store and watch my DVDs and BR without spending an hour or more searching through the volumes of discs in binders.

I have been searching and searching, and I know years ago Kscape had a chart of compatibility on their website. Just trying to figure out if my grandfathered 1u can be connected to an Alto, or a Strato, or a Cinema One, or 3u servers, etc. As a noob and purchasing preowned equipment that is outdated and may not even be supported any longer, it would help to know how I can make small steps in upgrading and then eventually updating my system.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/assistance!

Jason

The Premiere 'system' that is a 1u, 3u, or 5u server is designed to work with the various K-player DVD resolution players (Kplayer 2500, kplayer-5000, kplayer-6000, kplayer-300) or the BluRay/HD capable M class players (M-300, M-500, M-700). The premiere line does not work with Alto, Strato, or Cinema One second gen directly as these are standalone system components. You can however use the co-star hdmi switch to pair a Premiere system player with a Strato to play DVD/BR quality content from the premiere player and 4K content from the strato via one on-screen interface.

Generally speaking, all existing hardware components are still supported software wise although some components do not have parts available (for example the 5u server does not have replacement hard drives available).

Edit: Also you can group multiple 1u, 3u or 5u servers together into one 'system' that will pool all available storage together into one bucket. The only downside is that if one server goes offline, the content on that server will be unavailable.

Last edited:
The Premiere 'system' that is a 1u, 3u, or 5u server is designed to work with the various K-player DVD resolution players (Kplayer 2500, kplayer-5000, kplayer-6000, kplayer-300) or the BluRay/HD capable M class players (M-300, M-500, M-700). The premiere line does not work with Alto, Strato, or Cinema One second gen directly as these are standalone system components. You can however use the co-star hdmi switch to pair a Premiere system player with a Strato to play DVD/BR quality content from the premiere player and 4K content from the strato via one on-screen interface.

Generally speaking, all existing hardware components are still supported software wise although some components do not have parts available (for example the 5u server does not have replacement hard drives available).

Edit: Also you can group multiple 1u, 3u or 5u servers together into one 'system' that will pool all available storage together into one bucket. The only downside is that if one server goes offline, the content on that server will be unavailable.

Thanks Alien, that is what I was trying to figure out. Appreciate the advice

Back