• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Premire server announced!!

KTDJ

Just saw from their Facebook page:

Not completely sure what the difference is.

http://www.kaleidescape.com/products/premiere/#1u+

Jim,

Feel free to delete thread once you post your official copy of the email.

Thanks, but I'll just add the email here!

Dear Kaleidescape Dealer,

We are pleased to announce the new Kaleidescape 1U+ Movie Server. This new movie server for Premiere systems is available with either 18TB or 30TB of storage capacity. The 30TB model can store up to 800 Blu-ray movies.

The 1U+ Movie Server is a follow-on to the Kaleidescape 1U Server which is the workhorse for most Kaleidescape systems worldwide. The 1U+ Movie Server provides higher performance and better reliability, due to a substantial redesign. Its new power supply promises to significantly increase MTBF over that of the 1U Server. We retained the 1U Server’s industrial engineering (appearance, electrical connectors, user interface) because it is a proven design, and because this allows the 1U+ Movie Server to fit seamlessly into an existing system when adding or replacing a server.

Our proprietary kOS operating system enables the 1U+ Movie Server to provide computing and caching services, in addition to storing and serving movies. This improves the performance of movie players while browsing and searching, especially for a large collection of movies. kOS enables the 1U+ Movie Server to meet the content protection requirements of the motion picture studios, and it provides Kaleidescape’s proprietary RAID-K data protection that enables the server to continue operating after a hard drive has failed, without losing any data.

Premiere systems are found in many of the world’s finest homes, yachts, and private aircraft. They are renowned for reliability, and for delivering the best cinematic experience from a large collection of Blu-ray, DVD, and CD discs. Premiere systems can also download movies from the Kaleidescape Movie Store.

The new 1U+ Movie Server is shipping now.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on the spec sheet there's nothing too exciting. It's probably just a hardware refresh to replace some internal components that have gone EOL.

Interesting. I would've thought they'd be pushing everyone to the Encore line and not be releasing any new Premier line equipment.

They have been stating for awhile that some Support would continue for the Premiere line.

Jim

They are pushing everyone to the Encore line.
That is what they are moving towards.
They will continue to add new stuff but it will be mostly for the Encore line.
They will still support the premier line but all the new bells and whistles will be made for the Encore line.
I think everyone is going to have to get use to running two different systems the Premier and the Encore.
At this point I just don't see them doing the merger of the two different systems.
It's just way to costly :(

The merger is still being worked on, and K continues to say it will come mid-year, but no firm date. I do however agree that the future is still moving toward the Encore line.

Jim

Either way, nice to see support for the Premiere line. I think the transition will take some time so they should be doing this.

KSERVER-1550-0475 with four 6TB drives is 18TB of storage is $ 11,495.00
KSERVER-1550-0800 with four 10TB drives is 30TB of storage is $ 16,495.00

The merger is still being worked on, and K continues to say it will come mid-year, but no firm date. I do however agree that the future is still moving toward the Encore line.

Jim

That is good news. That keeps the dream alive of being able to have all our movies in one place. K will address 4K at some point, either by expanding the Store or through a new Vault. Although it may sound like it would detract from Store sales to offer a 4K Vault, I think it would achieve the opposite. Once you get using K and integrate your existing movies you do the math and repurchase movies on disc from the Store to free up space on your Vault. By offering a solution for all your movies, you attract more clients who will choose to purchase the movie from the Store as it is more convenient, supports K, and is cheaper than a Vault slot.

So assuming 4 Drives, there is a $1,250 difference between a 6TB Drive and a 10 TB Drive. ($5,000 price difference/ 4 Drives)

Maybe then if a 6TB Drive is around $1,000, a 10TB drive will be $2,250?

Jim

So, with the 1U+ and the outlook mostly on the Encore line. Is there a process where one can just turn in their 1U Premier hardware for Encore? Is it an even swap for a Strata C and a Terra server?

Yes it is. But I think that all comes down to fan noise.
I 3U is loud but it also has seven 3'' fans plus the 5'' fan for the power supply.
So it is a little louder.
Now the 1U has has smaller fans and less of them so it is quieter.

There is no upgrade for the Encore line as of yet.
But I'm sure they are working on it.
But one very important thing to remember you can not load or migrate any of your existing content from the Premier line to the Encore line.
The Encore line does not support CD/Music content.
So if the Kaleidescape Store doesn't have it there you can't get it.
The Encore line will only download from the Kaleidescape Store.

I know K would like to release an upgrade Promo for Premiere to Encore, it has been mentioned in the past. This could me a complicated process to implement, and before they devote significant resources to allow this I'm sure they would conduct a cost/benefit analysis. Although I certainly can't speak for all owners, I suspect most Premiere owners would not participate given the restrictions regarding content migration. As 1highvelocity noted above, you cannot replicate/migrate your content from between systems. This isn't only a functional restriction, it is contractual as well (K and Studios). At best, only content that is both, in the Store and on your Premiere server, could be added to the Encore line by downloading that same content from the Store (on the positive side, K could automate this process fairly easily, making it a simple process), but all remaining content would be relegated back to disc based playback.

Jim

Confused on your math. Four 6TB drives is 24TB, not 18TB ... and four 10TB drives is 40TB, not 30TB.

But WOWZER, those are expensive products.

Confused on your math. Four 6TB drives is 24TB, not 18TB ... and four 10TB drives is 40TB, not 30TB.

But WOWZER, those are expensive products.

The Premiere line uses a RAID setup and can support a disk failure without losing any data.

The Encore line does not use RAID since it only supports movies from the store and they can simply be downloaded again.

Yup, the math is correct, KRAID reserves the same amount of storage as the largest drive in the system, i.e. in a Four 6TB drive system, KRAID will allocate 6TB to backup, leaving 18TB for content storage. (That is also the reason that adding ONE larger drive to an existing smaller drive system doesn't result in any additional storage.)

Jim

Back