• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: New Policy Regarding Older Components

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
I (all dealers) received an email notice from K late yesterday. There are additional admin details directed at dealers regarding a new upgrade program for those interested in moving to better components, and getting back under warranty, but the important part for owners is printed below. (K made it clear that any component still under warranty will be serviced going forward.)

If you are affected by this change, and would like to receive details on the upgrade program and generous discounts being offered, please contact your dealer, or K Sales directly.

Jim

"Dear Kaleidescape Dealer,

Over the past decade, Kaleidescape systems have been a vital part of the home cinema experience for tens of thousands of our customers.

Although Kaleidescape components have been very long-lived, eventually mechanical parts wear out and products need service. But, repairing some of our older products has become infeasible as replacement parts have become scarce or unavailable.

As a result, we have decided to end support, effective August 31, 2016, for the following products: the 5U Server; the Movie Player and Movie Player 2; the 1080p Player and 1080p Mini Player; the Music Player; the Cinema One (first generation); and the Modular Disc Vault. Disk cartridges for the 5U Server and Cinema One (first generation) will no longer be available as of that date."

Damn, I just purchased a faulty Cinema One, which I was planning on getting a replacement PSU for; is it too late to get one of those?

Support will end for the older mentioned components on Aug.31st (about 65 more days). I just checked the latest dealer price sheets and there is no service kit listed for the Cinema One, so I doubt you can get it from K, BUT, you should email K Support (support@kaleidescape.com), and ask their advice.

Jim

I have replaced a C1 (1st Gen) power supply; it is quite a job. You have to remove just about everything to get at and disconnect the cables. It also requires desoldering and then soldering the AC connector onto new supply. Getting the top board with all the ports on it off must be done VERY carefully, and getting it back onto its riser is quite challenging as well.

K charges something north of $800 to do this repair, and I can see why!

Last edited:
The K120 is easy compared to the 3U server. K120 power supplies can be done in around 15mins if you know what you are doing. The biggest mistake some people make is not realising the motherboard is on a sliding tray. Once the tray is moved you can easily remove and replace the top motherboard after removing the old and attaching the new 24 & 4 pin cables.

Wow! Learn something new every day... did not see the tray setup... would love to see a pic of that with the motherboard pulled out.

However, I did have to totally disassemble the power supply case, remove the power supply board and detach the temperature sensor, desolder and resolder AC wires to the new power supply. The only way K would even sell me the Power Supply is that I agreed no support whatsoever and it is sold as is, where is, knowing that soldering would be involved and I was doing this at my own risk. When I told them I had a Metcal, I think they were 'Ok, this guy must know what he is doing' :)

Last edited:
Wow! Learn something new every day... did not see the tray setup.
However, I did have to totally disassemble the power supply case, remove the power supply board and detach the temperature sensor, desolder and resolder AC wires to the new power supply. The only way K would even sell me the Power Supply is that I agreed no support whatsoever and it is sold as is, where is, knowing that soldering would be involved and I was doing this at my own risk.

Indeed, but now you've done one any others will be easy. Unfortunately K120 power supplies are no longer available :(

Back