• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New owner - things that are would sell more units.

Mikesterz

1) A disk to digital program. Allow us to ship our disks and have k-scape digitize them. Can be incorporated as a new customer special program.

2) Rent to purchase. If I like a rental then allow us to apply the full rental cost (not half the cost) to the purchase if done within 30 days of rental.

3) New release and preorder prices should be competitive with disk and streaming prices.

4) Allow us to see all purchased movies. Not just downloaded ones. Maybe put a check mark or different border color for movies that are owned but not downloaded.

5) Access to the full tv show and movie library if we subscribe to HBO, Showtime, Netflix, Hulu, etc. Downloaded at full quality. We would probably have to purchase the subscription through K-Scape for that feature but it would be well worth it.

6) Lower the cost of hardware.

I have a few friends that will not purchase a k-scape even though they can very well afford it. If they implement these changes then I’m sure their customer base will greatly expand.

A disk to digital program, lower cost of entry, and competitive new release pricing is a must for them to consider purchasing one.

2) Rent to purchase. If I like a rental then allow us to apply the full rental cost (not half the cost) to the purchase if done within 30 days of rental.
I’ve even been thinking they could break it up. Put up a dialog box at the end of the movie that allows the full rental cost to be applied to convert it to a purchase. If you don’t decide at that moment, then give 50% for the rest of the 30-day period.

1- Seem very labor intensive.
2- I would be even fine if they allow 48 hours.
3- This is sometimes the case. I have purchased new content cheaper than the disc version but rare. My biggest issue is box sets are considerably cheaper than buying each movie individually on K. Bundle pricing would fix this issue.
4- I have 144TB in servers. This would piss off many customers who invested in storage like me. I like the idea but they should have done this from the beginning.
5- I don’t see this ever happening. It would essentially mean more than half their library will never sell.
6- This would be nice. We need more sales for this to happen.

1) A disk to digital program. Allow us to ship our disks and have k-scape digitize them. Can be incorporated as a new customer special program.

3) New release and preorder prices should be competitive with disk and streaming prices.

4) Allow us to see all purchased movies. Not just downloaded ones. Maybe put a check mark or different border color for movies that are owned but not downloaded.

5) Access to the full tv show and movie library if we subscribe to HBO, Showtime, Netflix, Hulu, etc. Downloaded at full quality. We would probably have to purchase the subscription through K-Scape for that feature but it would be well worth it.

6) Lower the cost of hardware.

I have a few friends that will not purchase a k-scape even though they can very well afford it. If they implement these changes then I’m sure their customer base will greatly expand.

A disk to digital program, lower cost of entry, and competitive new release pricing is a must for them to consider purchasing one.
#1. That will not be feasible nor scalable. There will be a high cost just shipping the discs back and forth. And it's not really worth utilizing the employees time doing such a mundane task. Many people in the forum recommend that K should make it possible for us to use our internal or external DVD/Bluray/4K Bluray reader instead of relying on an Alto to catalog our movies.
#2. I can go with this. But I think it is intentional for K to price it this way because they would rather have people purchase rather than rent.
#3. I think we all agree that the current pricing is ridiculous, especially when it comes to old, catalog movies. Where you can get old movies from the bargain bins for $5-10, it remains $25-30 in the K-store. Like everyone, I just wait for the Bundle Sales.
#4. Yes. Totally on my wish list. I noticed from "Substance" that he has a 144 TB server and would piss people off who invested in servers. But after a few years, your storage may get full again. Do you really want to for out another $20k for 88TB of storage?
#5. K doesn't want to be a streaming platform like AppleTV, Roku, etc. Also K is too small to have any influence with the providers to make changes to the current status quo of streaming.
#6. To be honest, the price of the hardware do not bother me too much. It cost about $10k to enter the platform which is expensive but what I do have issues with is the cost of the storage. I don't really want to have to pay for additional hardware after the initial $10k. A 6TB Terra storage cost $5k (MSRP) that can store 100 4k movies. That means that it cost $50 per movie storage space. So even if you were to buy your movies on a sale price of $10, you are paying $60 for that one movie. If you buy a $40 new release movie, that's $90. This is of course the worst case situations as not everyone would be downloading all their purchased movies to their servers.

Back