• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Lossless Music Export Tool

MikeKobb

◥ ◣ Kaleidescape, Inc.
Greetings!

We've just released a new music export tool that allows you to export the imported CD music stored on your Kaleidescape system in lossless form to your Mac or PC. The tool exports the tracks as either FLAC or Apple Lossless, including cover art, track names, and so on.

You can find more information at this link:

https://support.kaleidescape.com/article/Kaleidescape-Music-Export

Note that this tool is not a replacement for Kaleidescape Conductor -- it doesn't do the sort of ongoing synchronization that Conductor does. It's really there as an aid to people who, for example, may be upgrading to a Strato system and want to move their music onto a computer or NAS to use with another music playback solution.

This is great! It will be perfect for transferring my music to my NAS server for use with Roon.

John

Last edited:
Nice job Mike!

Jim

I tried this new app out and it worked flawlessly! Expected all of my CD’s as FLAC files to my Synology NAS. IT TOOK ~40 housing to export 20,000 tracks. I then pointed my Roon app to this folder on the NAS and everything loaded perfectly into Roon. One interesting observation - CD’s are loaded into folders by “Artist” so all albums from a given artist are in one folder. Also, I had a few old DTS CD’s and these were exported and loaded into Roon as 24 bit/44khz 5.1. I wasn’t sure these would export correctly or load into Roon but they did.

Nice job Kaleidescape! Thank You!

John

I thought I would share my experience with the new Music Export Tool. It worked flawlessly for me too (one small exception see below).

I exported approximately 4400 tracks, including 255 albums in ALAC (Apple Lossless) estimated to take 89GB (actually took 104GB on disk). This took approximately 17 hours and 50 minutes on a MacBook Pro 15 inch. This was performed using a wireless network connection (probably not the most robust).

As previously noted by John, a folder is created for each artist with subfolders for each album.

I did, as a preventive measure, turn off the screensaver and energy saver (no sleeping); just in case these may cause any problem. I also left it plugged-in for the duration.

One small issue is with a specific CD. Dave Matthews “Under the Table and Dreaming” CD listed 22 tracks as silent. The 12th track on this CD is titled as “34”, and listed as track number 34 instead of track number 12. Subtraction shows that we would have 22 silent tracks. That appears to be more of issue with the CD than with the tool. Just thought it was worth noting in case you should encounter that.

Note that I was able to obtain the above information on the silent tracks from the provided logs created during the export process and included in the Kaleidescape Music folder. Very helpful and thanks!

A question came to mind as I was doing this: Is FLAC better than ALAC or could this just be a “Ford” versus “Chevy” issue?

Thanks,
Paul

ALAC is a lower bit (16 IIRC), while FLAC is 24 bit, and FLAC definitely has a higher sampling rate, so not exactly Ford vs. Chevy, but not Ford vs. Ferrari either.

Jim

Thanks Jim! I did not know that information. I will re-export in the FLAC codec.

By the way, Ford vs. Ferrari was a good movie.

Thanks again,
Paul

If all you have are standard “Redbook” CD’s, they will all be 16 bit/44.1kHz when exported.

John

Thanks Jim! I did not know that information. I will re-export in the FLAC codec.

By the way, Ford vs. Ferrari was a good movie.

Thanks again,
Paul

It was as a good movie, but I'm a Ferrari guy!😀 (I was supposed to head to COTA in Austin to race at end of Summer, but given the virus situation in TX, doubt that will happen, so I need our F1 team to get their heads out of their ***** and start racing, so I can live vicariously through them!)

Jim

:) I was concerned about the Ferrari comment, but did it anyway. Too bad about another potential CoVid cancellation. Good luck to the F1 Team!
Paul

Both FLAC and ALAC are lossless codecs (that's the L in both acronyms). FLAC may have support for higher-resolution or higher-rate content, but as JohnJ noted, it's not needed for CDs.

Yup, and I should have noted that in my post.

Jim

@cinelife Go Lewis!!! 🏎 🏎 🏎 😜😁😎

Ha! I always hope he has a bad day!😁 (But he is a great driver, the best of the current field, but I'm hoping Charles will mature into a great driver as well. Seb is still incredible, but his age is showing, doesn't push as hard as he did in his younger days, so he'll be moving along soon. Of course Max is a serious driver as well, so RB is now in the mix as another real competitor, and if Lewis hesitates at all his cohort should be on his heels! British GP today (we have a lot of ground to make up)!!🤪

Jim

Back