• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New kOS Demo with DVD Cataloging

Thanks for sharing SB.:) For those that didn't attend CEDIA and hear the CEO's comments, if you listen close in the beginning of the video you will hear a comment about expecting to have all major studio's onboard by the end of the year.

Jim

Excellent!

"..a couple others (studios) that we couldn't talk about and all the majors by the end of the year"

John

Last edited:
Very cool. I wonder if they are planning the same functionality for Blu-ray. I seem to remember reading that they would allow upgrades without importing, but it would be nice to be able to play a Blu-ray from the vault as well. Obviously, importing to a server would be preferred due to faster load times and the ability to stream the same movie to multiple players, but as a 2nd gen C1 owner with limited storage space, I would love to take advantage of the empty space in my disc vault.

#1 - Funny how he didn't qualify that "all the majors" statement with the obligatory "except Disney" remark.
#2 - You may not have to touch the disc, but 30-seconds button to playback (and for a DVD no less)... ouch.
#3 - Expecting 80% coverage of imported discs to be available via digital offers? *glances at length of un-bookmarked list* Welcome to 20-percentville, we rotate mayors monthly.

1 - I suppose that depends on what your definition of "major" is.
2 - The 30 seconds is if you are currently watching another DVD and it has to stop and unload and find the other disc. I would guess in practice it usually isn't that long but this would basically apply to people who don't already have a Kaleidescape system already, which means none of us but the new guys.
3 - They didn't say 80% bookmarked, but 80% covered by digital offers which means about 80% of titles available in the store. That sounds like roughly all the majors but no minor/independents.

Speaking of the unbookmarked list, I have 30 in my list out of about 2100 titles. I just don't like the idea of having to spend that much to bookmark the discs and might just delete the titles to clean it up. I hope that people having to pay doesn't cut down the discs sent in so much that it cuts into our hit ratio on titles going forward. Once in a while I would see a title drop off my unbookmarked list when I guess somebody else sent in a copy of the same title, but it has probably been over 6 months since I have seen a single title drop off my list.

#2 - You may not have to touch the disc, but 30-seconds button to playback (and for a DVD no less)... ouch.

It's funny how soon we forget how it used to be with our old DVD/BR players.

John

Funny, i was thinking the same thing. We visited a friend a couple weeks ago and when he demonstrated some new equipment in his theatre I was reminded of the BR movie play load times in non-K players. He will be adding a K system shortly.:)

Jim

1 - I suppose that depends on what your definition of "major" is.
2 - The 30 seconds is if you are currently watching another DVD and it has to stop and unload and find the other disc. I would guess in practice it usually isn't that long but this would basically apply to people who don't already have a Kaleidescape system already, which means none of us but the new guys.
3 - They didn't say 80% bookmarked, but 80% covered by digital offers which means about 80% of titles available in the store. That sounds like roughly all the majors but no minor/independents.

Speaking of the unbookmarked list, I have 30 in my list out of about 2100 titles. I just don't like the idea of having to spend that much to bookmark the discs and might just delete the titles to clean it up. I hope that people having to pay doesn't cut down the discs sent in so much that it cuts into our hit ratio on titles going forward. Once in a while I would see a title drop off my unbookmarked list when I guess somebody else sent in a copy of the same title, but it has probably been over 6 months since I have seen a single title drop off my list.

1 - I cannot think of one that excludes the Disney family of studios.
2 - Right (and to John & Jim as well,) I just meant it is quite different from the experience we are used to. At least for bookmarked titles that can skip right to the content (not sure why I'm supposed to care what the disc's opinion is when I hit go-to-top-menu.)
3 - True, but would they really offer a title through the store that isn't already fully-enabled? [Don't answer that Sony, you're in enough trouble with me already.] Although, without a menu system or previews, the only thing left to bookmark is scenes & extras.

Or worse, titles that fail to import because the system doesn't have more common layouts. I really hope that surcharge goes away once the studio surge has passed. At least the list doesn't seem to be creeping up at fast as usual (23 of 90 titles added since last checked.) No way I'm going to delete the half that aren't bookmarked, I'll just have to live with the annoyance of needing to manually hop around (or worse, change between discs) when watching. Would at least be nice if those last 2 discs fell-off the unrecognized list, but I guess the studio re-used the UPCs or did something else to prevent them from having basic data pulled from K's vendor's metabase (managed to dislodge 1 or 2 others by re-submitting the UPC but these are being more stubborn.)

I looked and I was thinking it was Disney that was slipping as of recent but I was mistaken - it is Paramount that has had a couple rough years.

Speaking of studio side, here is the list from Wikipedia from 2013:
Major studio unit Market Share (US/CA)
Warner Bros. Pictures 17.1%
Walt Disney Pictures 15.9%
Universal Pictures 13.9%
Columbia Pictures (Sony) 11.2%
20th Century Fox 10.8%
Paramount Pictures 8.9%
Lions Gate 10.3%
Weinstein 4.3%
Relativity Media 2.2%

Sorry if I'm a little behind here, but if I understood the comment in the video, after a certain date I can no longer import DVDs? I was under the impression this only applied to new systems?

Sorry if I'm a little behind here, but if I understood the comment in the video, after a certain date I can no longer import DVDs? I was under the impression this only applied to new systems?

Your initial impression is correct, your system will continue to import DVD's, even after Nov. 30th. Your system is grandfathered as part of the settlement with the CCA. Also, because you currently own a grandfathered system (we are calling the "Legacy" systems), you will also be able to add new Server's, replace old Server's, in your system without losing that legacy status (meaning that even if you someday replace your current Server in an upgrade program, you will still be considered a legacy system and continue to have the ability to import DVD's).

Jim

Back