• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New KDISC started with amber light!

brodricj

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I took delivery of my new MDV today, and it hasn't taken long for my 1U server to reach 90% of maximum capacity. So I've just installed a new KDISC in the 4th slot and it's powered up with an amber light (the server was on when I installed the new disc). I see no extra storage come up in my UI home page. Is this a normal indication when you put a new disc in a 1U server (perhaps the array is being rebuilt with the 4th disc now in the equation)?, or should a new disc power up with a blue light?

I'm guessing it was an invalidated disc I put in the spare slot. I bought 3 discs, 2 of which was a file system and the other invalidated. 2 of the discs had a small green sticker marked with an M, and the 3rd disc didn't have the sticker. I'm guessing the discs with the green stickers are the file system, hence why I loaded the disc without the sticker into my server.

I'm still able to import from the MDV and play from the M300 at the same time, whilst the 4th disc has an amber light, so I guess that's a good sign?

Last edited:
UPDATE: Something is weird. On my user/home page it says I have 1431GB of free space which is enough for 38 Blu-Ray discs...and 26 discs are waiting to be imported, however on my user/import page it says I have run out of disc space (and all imports have stopped).

The amber light is an indication the disk has an issue. If it was not a new disk, it may not have been "reinitialized" after removal from the previous Server. It may also be defective (not connecting, failing to spin up, read write issues, etc.). Highly unlikely, but possible, it may be a Server issue related to the one slot.

If you have not already done so, try reinstalling the disk and insure it is fully "seated" in the slot, and you might also try rebooting the Server. Obviously it will not work in an Amber condition.

Jim

UPDATE: Something is weird. On my user/home page it says I have 1431GB of free space which is enough for 38 Blu-Ray discs...and 26 discs are waiting to be imported, however on my user/import page it says I have run out of disc space (and all imports have stopped).

Try rebooting the Server and see what you get on those pages. Also, on the User home page, what does it show for last connection to K?

Jim

Re-inserted the disc. The blue light comes on for about half a second and then turns amber. The disc is one I sent to Kaleidescape to be re-initialized, and it's the first time I've used it since it was returned. I'd expect I should be able to use it in any server.

Correct, if it was in fact reinitialized, it should work in any 1U or 3U Server.

Jim

Re-booted the servers (I have two 1U's that are grouped). No change.

The user/home page is showing a connection to Kaleidescape servers one minute ago, storage capacity 2989GB, storage capacity used 53%, no discs are importing, and I have 26 discs waiting to be imported.

Under installer/components, the server with the amber disc (the invalidated disc I've just installed) is showing space available 19GB (1%), and no other warning messages. The other server (with 2 new discs) is showing a capacity of 1491GB with a warning "disc missing or failed".

I'm seeing no warning messages in the Ui's from the server with the amber disc, and I have a failed disc warning from the server with 2 discs that both have blue lights (and 2 empty slots i.e. all discs in that server have blue lights).

The paperwork I received back from Kaleidescape clearly says one invalidated disc, and 2 discs with file system (that's what I asked them to do, I sent them 3 discs).

EDIT: The other weird thing is, when I put the 2 new discs in the empty server I had to go through the system registration process. I entered my details in the registration page, and the server serial number was automatically entered in the appropriate data field. However when I sent the details through it reported back the server serial number wasn't valid. I entered the server serial number manually and again it reported back that it wasn't a valid serial number. So I changed the serial number to that of my other server, and those details were accepted. So I have one server that has been registered twice (the one with no spare capacity), and the other (the one that has ample capacity) that I can't register because Kaleidescape doesn't recognize the serial number.

Last edited:
UPDATE:
The obvious thing to try was to put the "failed" invalidated disc into the new server, with the 2 disc file system and bingo! It works! So either slot 4 on the old server doesn't work, or Kaleidescape married the "invalidated" disc to the new file system before shipping them to me. I suspect the later, because the "missing disc" warning from the new server has cleared, and imports have resumed.
But does this explain why I couldn't register the new server?

EDIT: Still can't activate the new system, and I'm getting the "you need to activate your system" warning every 60 minutes. For some reason the automated activation process doesn't like my server number.

Last edited:
You did exactly what I was about to recommend, glad that worked. At a minimum the discs appear to be linked, but I'm also wondering if they were ever actually invalidated????

Cannot get my head around why you are having a Serial#/activation problem, assuming you have put in the correct Serial#. Send a message to K Support asking them to look into the serial number/activation issue. Also, doubt this is the case with that 1U, but if a Server is reported stolen K could control the activation on their end, requiring the sharing of more info directly before activation (not saying they would do this, only that they have the ability).

Jim

BTW, not sure this would help, but perhaps you could temporarily "un-group" the Servers and try registration again???

Jim

The thing is, the server in question has been registered to me for about 2 years now. It's only when I put this new file system in it that things went haywire.
When using two servers in a group, I take it there is a master/slave relationship between them? One server has a static IP (the one that my Pronto talks to), and the other is DHCP, so the one with the static IP is the master, and DHCP is the slave. Would that be right?

When using two servers in a group, I take it there is a master/slave relationship between them? One server has a static IP (the one that my Pronto talks to), and the other is DHCP, so the one with the static IP is the master, and DHCP is the slave. Would that be right?

No. It's not that simple. Whether or not a server has a static IP has no bearing on which server in a group becomes the "master" server. It is a very much more complicated affair.

As to your Pronto, are you using the Kaleidescape module on your Pronto? If so, it shouldn't be configured with the IP address for your server. It should be using the IP address(es) of your player(s) and communicating directly with them.

Back