• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: New Kaleidescape "M-Class" players announced, with Blu-ray support

Q. Does the cover art show for all imported content of BD's at all times (inc. information... director, actor, etc..) but once a movie is selected a pop-up message appears to instruct you to put the original BD-dvd into the M500 tray (which is mounted in a rack in another room)?

Yes. Imported Bluray content will show up in all views regardless of whether the disc is in the tray or not.

Q. Can BD home made movies be placed on the server?
Q. Will my BD home made discs be required in the M500 tray?

You cannot import homemade BD content.

Q. Can BD home made movies be placed on the server?
Q. Will my BD home made discs be required in the M500 tray?

M-Class players can play, but not import non-AACS (unencrypted) content at this time.

2. can it internally decode an DTS-MA soundtrack and output it as LPCM? No mention in the spec sheet about that.

When player decode (default) is selected as the HDMI audio decode mode, all audio outputs are active at once. For Blu-ray movies, this option mixes movie, picture-in-picture and button sounds, audio output over HDMI is 48 kHz PCM, up to 5.1 channels, and audio output over optical/coax is DTS or stereo PCM. For DVD movies, audio output over HDMI is 48 kHz PCM, up to 5.1 channels, and audio output over optical/coax is passed through (Dolby Digital, DTS, stereo PCM).

For DTS-HD Master Audio, the lossy DTS core of the DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is used when player decode mode is selected.

When bitstream pass-through is selected as the HDMI audio decode mode, only the HDMI audio output is active during movie playback. All other audio outputs are disabled. The unaltered movie audio track is sent for decoding in the receiver. For Blu-ray movies, picture-in-picture audio and button sounds will not be heard.

...If the system has to negotiate the locate-and-find just to get the "OK" to access the hard drives that would slow things down noticeably.
The loader will not need to spin around each time you play a movie. The movies will be played from the server, not the disc in the loader.

Last edited:
Hi John

Thanks for the link to your review/release notes.

I personally could live with the 100 BD changer as I only own two hundred odd BD's, but of them i would only transfer the great audio sounding blockbusters, prob 30-40 BD's to date. But would prefer a more compact changer unit.

Q. Since the changer is also a loader, would it be possible to own a loader and M300 player only? Im guessing it would?

thanks again

Panamar

Q. Since the changer is also a loader, would it be possible to own a loader and M300 player only? Im guessing it would?

It would.

Tom Barnett
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Q. Why the restriction on not importing non-encrypted BR disks? Home videos are an obvious reason why this is a useful feature.

Q. Why the restriction on not importing non-encrypted BR disks? Home videos are an obvious reason why this is a useful feature.

Support for import of unencrypted Blu-ray Disc content isn't in the initial software release. There is no restriction to prevent this from being added in a software update.

1. why the RCA connector, what was wrong with BNC?....

I suspect it's because for a long time we've (dealers/some owners) been asking for standard RCA. We had to keep buying adapters for most setups.

Jim

So many questions... For one, the loader they plan to release first half of 2011 sounds like a functional replacement of the SpeedReader. I just bought one of those this past December. I wonder if they will feature upgrade pricing for customers who purchased the SpeedReader and want to upgrade to the loader.

That said, the loader seems somewhat different, functionally. It almost sounds like a hybrid loader and maybe carousel-like system that will hold the disks, like one of those Sony disk carousel systems? If that's the case, I definitely wonder what impact that will have on the k-scape experience. Carousel disk locate and access times are very slow compared to data access on RAID-configured hard drives. If the system has to negotiate the locate-and-find just to get the "OK" to access the hard drives that would slow things down noticeably. There will also be size considerations. I had one of those Sony carousels. It was big - like 4U or so in height - and could only hold 400 disks. How will this loader concept play out for large Blu-Ray libraries - say over 1000. That's a lot of rack space, along with the additional 3U server(s) that may be needed to store the increased content.

It is not intended that the loader have to locate and verify a disc's presence each time it's selected for viewing. It is expected the loader will import a movie, place it in a slot, record it's location, and authorize it for playback. As long as the disc remains in the loader, you will have instant access.

The goal here was to minimize the movement within the carousel. It will NOT function like a standard carousel.

Jim

Big thumbs down here. No decoding of the lossless to PCM doesnt work for me and the need to keep the discs in trays or some kind of bulk loader is very inelegant- never mind the legalities. One reason we pay through the nose for K products is because of the elegance. Thats gone. And I can't even import my home blu rays? On top of that I would have to replace multiple players I have around my home and continue to buy into the proprietary K hard drive system?

Honestly, I would rather Kaleidescape would have waited to get this right instead of this kind of cobbled together approach. Maybe I'll lighten up later when I think more on this but this is my first reaction and its all negative.

And now I see there is no 3D support nor the possibility of adding it later? Are you kidding me? I would accept this for a $150 player, not a $3k player. :( :( :(

Finally, I know this last point is very trite, but, for all that money we don't even get a new enclosure. This is a mistake IMHO because people are vain and having something that looks different from whats out there would be helpful for those who install these things.

Very very disappointed.

Last edited:
With these new Blu Ray movie players, are they sending out unmolested audio via the optical port for syncing with DBox motion controllers and at the same time sending out the original unmolested signal via HDMI so, say, a Meridian 621 could grab it and do what it wanted with it?

BTW- As I understand this, once the disk is in the forthcoming "vault," it will not need to be physically accessed after it is there, the system will know it is there, and the "experience" should be the same as with DVDs, as long as the disc is in the vault. This, to me, seems perfect. While the storage of the disks may be cumbersome... it's not a really big deal. Am I missing some huge caveat here?

Thanks.

Jerry, if you would rather wait, that is fine but having Kaleidescape not release this forces EVERYBODY to wait. There is no possibility for adding 3D to this player - it would need to be a new player for that. You might not accept this for a $3k player but $150 is ok. How about the $1k new Oppo that won't do 3D? The fact is, this is not a $150 walmart bluray player and it is a $1k premium over a standard 1080p player.

I don't feel we need a new enclosure. If you want something that looks different it does but very subtlely. There is also not a whole slew of logos like 1080p, BluRay, TrueHD, Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, THX, CD Audio, mp3, mp4 and lord knows what else. It is clean and simple. I see many people put little BluRay plaques at the entrance to their home theater. I do not. I open the entrance to my theater and people look at it and just expect that it has and will do everything. I don't need to remind them and clutter the hell out of it at the same time.

Kaleidescape's interface and industrial design is very slick - sort of like Apple. Notice how little difference there was in the look of the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 3Gs? People who are vain might like the nice new look, but what about the people who have the earlier units? Do we want to make them look like they are in total obsolesence as soon as we can? That sacrifices long term satisfaction to try and drive immediate sales.

Some of the things people wanted would have required a larger player. While I am cool with that, remember that they have a huge base of installations that might not have room in their racks to double the space of all their players. These would be for them. Those who are willing to have a bigger player might have to wait, but as was posted above, some would prefer to wait.

I can't tell you about the D-BOX stream plus Lossless audio at the same time. I will check my system out with the D-BOX, but I don't have a surround sound processor that takes HDMI in. I decided several years ago that I could take a ride on the upgrade train from time to time, but I was not well heeled enough to live on it.

I don't feel we need a new enclosure. If you want something that looks different it does but very subtlely. There is also not a whole slew of logos like 1080p, BluRay, TrueHD, Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, THX, CD Audio, mp3, mp4 and lord knows what else. It is clean and simple. I see many people put little BluRay plaques at the entrance to their home theater. I do not. I open the entrance to my theater and people look at it and just expect that it has and will do everything. I don't need to remind them and clutter the hell out of it at the same time.

Not to mention the fact that when people see the thing running they tend to say things like "That's cool as f@#$!" When they see the equipment they tend to say the same thing...

Server question: Why not introduce a server with multiple ethernet ports? Would that increase the bandwidth available to stream more than 2 movies at a time out of a 2500 server?

Oh- and does K have a list of recommended "nuclear powered" routers that would give the best possible performance for the K system?

The masses don't understand equipment when they look in a rack. When I was in college, I had a nice system for a college kid - Infinity Kappa 9's with kappa 8 rears and Adcom monoblocks, Yamaha DSP-A1000 pre-pro and Pioneer laserdisc with jog shuttle and 2 sided play. People would look at the rack and say "Wow. Kenwood." (My secondary LD player for 3 sided movies). Now they look at my equipment and I think they are most impressed with the 15" computer monitor in the rack. But when they look on the screen, the Kaleidescape blows them away.

iansilv, why introduce a new server to increase the bandwidth off a discontinued server? A kserver 2500 can stream 5 BluRays at the same time but that was an old 5U chassis.

The KServer 2000 is the one with issues but that is like 6-7 years old.

Multiple ethernet ports are not going to be needed on the server. GigE is pretty beefy - you think we are going to have people streaming more than 5 BluRays at once off a single on of the current servers?

To me, it seems that right now (until the vault becomes available) it is going to chew up a LOT of server storage to basically offer 2 benefits---instant play once disc is in tray and the ability to browse/display all of your content on the GUI. One of my "suggestions" to Malcolm was the option to just take a small piece of the Blu-ray data that would then add the disc to your collection but not archive the entire disc. It wouldn't speed up load times, but you could see your entire collection without eating up 37 Gigs per disc. Thoughts...?
John

Mike,
You and I will have to disagree on this.

First of all, the requirement for people to either have a single disc in a player is absurd. So the solution is to get a big changer. If you don't have room in a rack for a slightly taller player, do you think people will have room for a 4U size changer? And how many discs will the changer hold? I suppose the answer is anywhere from 100-400. If its closer to 100 then that again is absurd. I have several hundred BRs. What happens when I need multiple changers. How much will they ask for those? Several thousand dollars a piece- all because K could not get the BR association to allow them the proper implementation. So we have to pay the price.

This is a very clunky solution- the anthesis of the K experience so far and I for one will not spend a dime on such an inelegant solution.

As to getting LPCM decoding inside the player- give me a break. How much more space would they need for conversion to LPCM? Oppo does that already and can do so much more so if you swap out the DVD-A/SACD for the K interface stuff its probably even. How is it that there are several streamers on the market that do many of these functions and do not take up any more space (and sometimes less) than the K system. And they go for a fraction of this. Yes, there is a value to what K is doing but this is just completely absurd.

This will not send the lossless soundtrack to a Meridian 621. It will send the decoded core audio though.

The point on the enclosure is that if you are going to spend in excess of 10k for new gear, shouldn't you get the full experience? I think yes. And I guarantee you there will be installers who get confused since the enclosures are identical to the earlier products. Perhaps they should have had a blue dot on them or something. If you're charging thousands of dollars for blu ray playback, I think you should provide a little extra sizzle.

So for now we have a mega buck system that in order to play a BR disc we have to put it in a tray, and if we want to play something the UI says is in there, we might have to run around the house to find the physical disc and put it in the tray- nothing different from the person with the Samsung player, except that the Samsung might decode to PCM and handle 3D and cost 1/100th the price. And when the vault comes out we have at a minimum a massive piece of hardware that will fill up a rack or cause those of us whose racks are full to require a new rack (yet more cost). IMHO K should include these vault devices with the costs of the players but I suspect that will not be the case. It will be an added cost of several thousands of dollars per vault (Im just guessing here based on the price of a new K player). Guess what, the world is very different than when the original K system and business model were developed and this implementation of a BR streaming device is not compelling.

Sorely disappointed in this- this is an installers dream but the user who cares about high quality and elegant implementation for a reasonable price nightmare.

Back