• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Disk set problem

flitebynite

I bought a new (to me) Disk set for my 3U Server and I'm having a problem.
There are 13 1TB Drives. They all come to a solid blue light status except the hot spare that blinks blue. This seems like a normal status for a set of disks. Right?
The problem is, my M700 now says it can't communicate with the Server and there's a network problem. It displays a message to go to the browser interface http:// 10.10.18.123. This looks like a static IP to me.
The Server these disks are installed in is my existing Server that I've had for some time now.
My Server is set to DHCP and I can normally access it through the Browser interface. However, with this new disk set installed, I can't get to my server through the Browser interface any more.
Why would the Disk set cause my Server to change it's IP address from DHCP to a static IP?
I can put my old set of drives back in the server and everything works fine.
Anyone see this before?
I'm continuing to troubleshoot, but any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

As far as I know, there is no storage on the server itself and everything including OS & settings are stored on the disks. The disk set you bought are probably from a server that had static IP setup.

You will have to reset the static ip to DHCP on server with the new disks installed. This would be my guess.

@20hertz is correct. When you replaced your old drives with a complete set of new drives, you essentially created a new system. It's likely that the drives weren't reset before you received them so whatever configuration was on them before is your configuration now.

You'll need to set your server back to DHCP as well as restore any other configuration settings you had set up. You can reset the 3U server back to DHCP either by connecting a serial cable to the DB9 port on the back of the server or by setting up your PC to have a static IP on the same IP range as the server's current configuration (10.10.18.124) and then connecting the PC and the 3U server together with an ethernet cable.

Instructions for resetting the IP address via a serial cable are here: https://support.kaleidescape.com/Ws...he-serial-port-of-a-Premiere-system-component

The M700 is still looking for your "old" system so you'll have to group it to your "new" system once you've reset the network settings.

Additionally, if you had previously activated your Premiere system on the store, you will find that your "new" system is deactivated (or worse, still activated on someone else's account) and you'll have to activate it. If you still have your old disk set available, I'd advise you to put the old disk set back into the server chassis and deactivate your "old" system before activating your "new" one but that's not strictly necessary unless you already have 5 separate systems activated on your store account.

As far as I know, there is no storage on the server itself and everything including OS & settings are stored on the disks. The disk set you bought are probably from a server that had static IP setup.

You will have to reset the static ip to DHCP on server with the new disks installed. This would be my guess.
Thanks.
I was thinking the same thing.
I'm hoping I don't need to take the Server out of the rack and connect directly to it with my Laptop to reset it.

@20hertz is correct. When you replaced your old drives with a complete set of new drives, you essentially created a new system. It's likely that the drives weren't reset before you received them so whatever configuration was on them before is your configuration now.

You'll need to set your server back to DHCP as well as restore any other configuration settings you had set up. You can reset the 3U server back to DHCP either by connecting a serial cable to the DB9 port on the back of the server or by setting up your PC to have a static IP on the same IP range as the server's current configuration (10.10.18.124) and then connecting the PC and the 3U server together with an ethernet cable.

Instructions for resetting the IP address via a serial cable are here: https://support.kaleidescape.com/Ws...he-serial-port-of-a-Premiere-system-component

The M700 is still looking for your "old" system so you'll have to group it to your "new" system once you've reset the network settings.

Additionally, if you had previously activated your Premiere system on the store, you will find that your "new" system is deactivated (or worse, still activated on someone else's account) and you'll have to activate it. If you still have your old disk set available, I'd advise you to put the old disk set back into the server chassis and deactivate your "old" system before activating your "new" one but that's not strictly necessary unless you already have 5 separate systems activated on your store account.
Thanks John.
As always, your detailed responses are always appreciated.
Chris

I configured my old Windows XP Laptop to the Static IP configuration and I now have access to the Browser interface.
However, there is a password protecting the entry.
Does anyone know how I can get passed this?
I've sent a message to the previous owner, but I've gotten no response yet.
Again, any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

Chris, unless something has changed in the software that I'm not aware of, you will need that password from the previous owner (assuming they have it), OR you will need help from K Support (I believe they can reset on their end).

Jim

Support can reset that password for you. However, they are shut down for US Thanksgiving until Monday.

If you PM me the serial number of your server -- and you have it up and running -- I can remotely reset the passcode for you.

Support can reset that password for you. However, they are shut down for US Thanksgiving until Monday.

If you PM me the serial number of your server -- and you have it up and running -- I can remotely reset the passcode for you.
Thank you!
I'll send the info shortly.
I need to get around to the back of the Server and get the SN.
Chris

Very nice of you John, that's awesome!

Jim

I’ve had my system now for quite a few years and my family has been so happy that we have expanded to a couple of systems. The service that Kaleidescape gives is nothing short of phenomenal. That being said, this takes the cake. Working on Thanksgiving so that one of your customers can have the holiday be just that much better and special really blows me away. Thank you John and the rest of the team. I know it didn’t take you much time, but acts like that mean the world to the rest of us. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I’ve had my system now for quite a few years and my family has been so happy that we have expanded to a couple of systems. The service that Kaleidescape gives is nothing short of phenomenal. That being said, this takes the cake. Working on Thanksgiving so that one of your customers can have the holiday be just that much better and special really blows me away. Thank you John and the rest of the team. I know it didn’t take you much time, but acts like that mean the world to the rest of us. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
I agree!

Aw shucks guys. That's kind of you. I should confess that I'm not really being that heroic. I'm in the Canadian office. It's a regular workday for us here.

But I appreciate the sentiment.

Still very good of you to help Chris so quickly!! (He's a great guy!)

Jim

Back