• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: New "Cinema One" Server

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Kaleidescape announced the release of their new "Cinema One" movie server (that also has two independent music zones). Based on the Mini-System, the Server will come with all storage disks installed and will store approx. 225 DVD's (2500 CD's). It will also come with both the standard K-Remote and the Child's Remote. VERY easy to install, no more difficult than installing a typical DVD player. Most impressive is the cost, which K has managed to lower to $4,995!!:):cool:

To further support this new Cinema One, K has lowered the price of the 1080p Player to $1,995. This will allow for additional room support at a price point more in line with the system's initial cost. More details will follow.

Jim

From what I can see, the Cinema One server is really just a fully loaded Mini system with a new name and includes both the standard remote and the new child remote. The only real groundbreaking info I can see on that is the much lower price point.

I do wish they upped it to the new 1TB drives that are available in the 2.5" format but I don't know if they have drives that size that will pass Kaleidescape's internal durability/reliability testing.

How many Blu-Rays does this support? Sorry, I just can't remember the calculation right now...

I assume it does not read blurays? Could it play them if they were copied from a capable reader and present in an IDV somewhere?

But I assume it can work with an IDV or the M class players?

From what I can see, the Cinema One server is really just a fully loaded Mini system with a new name and includes both the standard remote and the new child remote. The only real groundbreaking info I can see on that is the much lower price point.

I do wish they upped it to the new 1TB drives that are available in the 2.5" format but I don't know if they have drives that size that will pass Kaleidescape's internal durability/reliability testing.

That's correct Mike, it is the price that is noteworthy.

From what I've been told historically, you are also correct that larger drives that meet K's standards are not available. I assume that's still true.

Jim

How many Blu-Rays does this support? Sorry, I just can't remember the calculation right now...

I assume it does not read blurays? Could it play them if they were copied from a capable reader and present in an IDV somewhere?

But I assume it can work with an IDV or the M class players?

The Cinema One cannot play Blu-ray content even if it is imported. You *can* use M-class players to import BD content to the Cinema One and then play it back in any zone that has an M-class player.

Correct. I spoke with the Kaleidescape team today to get more information. This is the exact same hardware as the mini-system, with fully loaded drives, the two remotes, and a much lower price point.

I think it does bring the price own to a level that will attract more people to the brand, but was similarly disappointed that it didn't incorporate M-class playback technology. I think a single-system M-Class player would be quite attractive, but it's worth pointing out that it wouldn't store very many blu-ray discs given the limits of the disc slots in the mini-system chassis.

Kaleidescape's priorities were to get a product out with no hardware redesign that could come in at a much lower price point, and they definitely accomplished that. I think for some people this will be a very nice unit and, as has been pointed out, it can be extended with additional servers and players as ones needs grow or change.

Here's a blog I did on the new piece. Michael Malcolm has this comment about my post, "Cheena read your new blog at dinner tonight from his iPhone while Tom Barnett and I laughed and laughed. It’s the best article on Kaleidescape to date!" So, funny.

To answer the Blu-ray storage question, it would hold like 31 titles.

http://johnsciacca.webs.com/apps/bl...escape-slashes-the-price-retains-the-awesome-

Best,
John Sciacca

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and am currently not a K-scape owner. I have been lusting after the system for years and have several times thought hard about purchasing one... The problem has always been the cost of entry into even a base system... When Blue-ray came along, the problem seemed to even get worse. First off, the amount of storage required to store a given amount of movies goes up nearly an order of magnitude... The second issue was that there was no Blue-ray support until recently...

Well, it looks like at least the technical aspects of blue-ray support have been addressed with the concept of a vault. That being said, thanks to the copyright laws and the litigious nature of this country, I am guessing even that will be fought out in court. Time will tell how that bears out...

So, my real question is with the introduction of the Cinema-One product. There is not that much written about it yet, but I was wondering about its lack of support for Blue-ray. I am trying to decide if that is a bad thing or not in my particular situation, as I have perhaps 100 Blue-ray titles and maybe 300-400 DVDs... I was thinking that at the very least, it might have been nice if the Cinema-One would at least "play" Blue-rays if they were inserted into the disk tray... No need to store them (as 31 disk is just too few). But, it might just preclude the need to have a second player in the room where the player is... Any thoughts on that?

Matt

You are correct, currently there is no support for BR with the C1. I've sent a PM.

Jim

You are correct, currently there is no support for BR with the C1. I've sent a PM.

Jim

I have to qualify the above statement because it has been misinterpreted (my fault:eek:).

Although the C1, alone, does not support BR capability, it can be made BR capable (see Croptop's post above). However, there is not enough storage capability in a C1 to make this a cost effective storage solution).

Jim

Back