• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New 3U Server

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
K has just announced a new 3U server that apparently replaces the flagship 5U server. The new KSERVER-5000 has the following capabilities:

Stores up to 1,340 DVD's or 15,000 CD's
Can cluster multiple servers to provide over 100TB of storage.
RAID-K content protection.
New "Hot Spare Disk Cartridge" allows for failure recovery without a service call.
Up to 25 simultaneous video/audio zones per server.
14 Disk cartridge capacity (2 needed for the RAID and Hot Spare) (The 750gb Low Profile disks)

Of course it also has all the other features found in existing KSERVERS.

Check out the K website for more details.

Regards,
Jim

Last edited:
Looks very nice... 14 cartridges now instead of 12, hot-spare capability.

Kaleidescape-3U-Server-2.jpg

Kaleidescape-3U-Server-1.jpg

This is the RoHS-certified server which they've needed in Europe for a while now, so they took the opportunity to freshen the style, update the technology and use the new smaller form factor drives. I don't believe it has any fundamental new capabilities from the 5U or 1U servers other than the hot-spare technology.

--josh

A couple of other interesting changes are the inclusion of two USB 2.0 connections and IEEE 1394 (Firewire) 6-pin, both of which are designated as "Reserved" (future use). Now we can all spend time speculating on what these new connections can/will be used for going forward. :D

I did confirm the 5U's are being phased out. They will sell what is in stock and then only 1U and 3U servers will be available.

Jim

me likey

Whats RoHS?

Humm- even more drive bays--- with hard drive capability expanding and prices falling, are we seeing the foundation for an eventual HDDVD/ BR system? I hope so.

I really like the slimmer rack requirement. Well done!

Whats RoHS?

Humm- even more drive bays--- with hard drive capability expanding and prices falling, are we seeing the foundation for an eventual HDDVD/ BR system? I hope so.

I really like the slimmer rack requirement. Well done!

RoHS (pronounced ROW-Haas" in the industry) is "Reduction of Hazardous Substances" act - a new set of requirements for Europe (and soon U.S.) that requires removal of certain metals and other materials that are hazardous to the environment in landfills, etc. The 5U server has been illegal to sell in Europe for several months since this act went into effect. The 1U and 3U are RoHS-compliant.

-josh

MSRP for a 3U (no disks) is $14,995.

MSRP for a basic Movie System (3U, three 750 disks, Movie Player and licenses) is $21,240. (The $9,995 1U Movie System plus $11,245 for the 3U w/3-750's).

Of the three 750 disks, only one is available for content storage. One is for RAID, and the other is for the new "hot swap" back-up.

They are now available.

Jim

MSRP for a 3U (no disks) is $14,995.

MSRP for a basic Movie System (3U, three 750 disks, Movie Player and licenses) is $21,240. (The $9,995 1U Movie System plus $11,245 for the 3U w/3-750's).

Of the three 750 disks, only one is available for content storage. One is for RAID, and the other is for the new "hot swap" back-up.

They are now available.

Jim

I forgot to ask a follow-up. Is the 3U listed price for a version with unlimited streams or capped? Thanks.

Jeff

I forgot to ask a follow-up. Is the 3U listed price for a version with unlimited streams or capped? Thanks.

Jeff

Up to 25 simultaneous zones (video or audio) included in the list price.

Jim

Up to 25 simultaneous zones (video or audio) included in the list price.

Jim

Have they done away with the 2-tiered pricing structure for simultaneous zone streaming? If I remember correctly, the old KS3000 was something like 5 streams while the KS3500 was 25. I can see them just going to a single model to make things easier, but I figured I'd ask anyways. Thanks.

Jeff

Back