• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Need understanding system setup

So I just bought a 3u server . I know I need the m300 or m500 players to stream to diffrent rooms of my home. Do I need to have a disc vault as well? Please help me understand the system setup as I am new to this system . Thanks ladies and gents

You will need any player (newer or older) to playback DVD movies on the server.

To import new movies, you will need a player (new or old) with a disc tray, and/or the disc vault.

In order to import Blu-ray movies, you will need a disc vault or M500. In order to actually play them back, they will need to be permanently stored in a disc vault.

In order to playback Blu-ray movies stored on the server, you will need a M class player.

Bottom line, if you want bluray support, you need a vault and an M class player (or an M700). If you want to just start out with DVDs, any player with a disc tray will be fine and no vault is needed.

Since it's highly unlikely that you purchased just a 3U server new from a dealer, I would suggest you get a player as soon as possible and establish your system with Kaleidescape. Otherwise you may not have DVD import support after November 30th.

Kevin D.

player

correct. I did not buy from dealer. I was told that I must have a vault player as well as the server is this true or is having a player enough.

I would just add that while the M700 is both a vault and a player the disadvantage is that it can only play a movie after loading it into the server. The M500 player is able to play a disc from the tray without loading the movie to the server.

One of the real advantages of the M700 is that you can load up a bunch of discs and they will all load into the server over night.

John

I think you have to understand the purpose behind the Vault- aside from bulk loading movies- is the rights on Blu Ray discs require a disc present in the player at all times. So with a M500 player, you can have a disc in the single slot and use it like a regular BR player or you can have the content loaded into the server and it will play off the server, but before it plays the system checks to see if the physical disc for that movie is present. With the M700 (or with a DV700) you've got 320 (I think) discs in each where it will check the disc is there- and then it plays right off the server. Its clever. You get the benefit of a centrally located, server based system this way. Because of that, if you have a bunch of Blu Rays you want to have access to, you really need a vault of some kind. The M700 has an integrated player in it, so its a two in one piece. The DV700 is just a vault with no player.

As you can probably tell, there are a lot of us that LOVE the M700 and its capabilities and build quality.

John

Used ones show up on this forum in the "Marketplace" section. Or on ebay...

John

All good and accurate info, but also keep in mind that you do not need to store HD (BR) movies purchased thru the K Store, those can be downloaded and played back via any M-class Player, a Vault would not be needed.

Jim

You could, if you were so inclined, also just rely on the Kaleidescape Store (as mentioned by Jim/cinelife), especially as a new owner. In that case, the thousands of dollars you would spend to get a Vault could be spent in the Store, and shared across up to five systems at no extra charge. For existing Blu-rays in your collection, UVVU.com (Ultraviolet) is your friend.

Back