• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Need help setting up

I bought some used equipment and need to reset the IP Address. I tried the instructions found in the thread at https://www.kscapeowners.com/XF/threads/sellers-please-change-ip-address-after-sale.1520/ but I'm not getting it done. The instructions for WireShark aren't clear enough for me, the second instructions require a serial cable that I haven't owned in 15 years, and going to my-kaleidescape.local doesn't give me anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Not every router supports my-kaleidescape.local. Did you have a look in your list of connected devices on your router to see if the equipment shows up there? Regarding Wireshark, which part isn’t clear? I might be able to clarify it for you.

I have a network cable straight from my server to my laptop per the instructions. When WireShark ran the only traffic it showed was from the ip of the laptop. This is where I got confused because I assumed there will be traffic from the server so I figured I did something wrong. I repeated the process with the same results.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Disable your wireless network card so it won’t generate any traffic (not sure if necessary as you select the network card to monitor when starting Wireshark).
When I had my laptop directly connected to the server there was no traffic from either side while the server was off.
Start the trace, then power on the server. Once the server is booted, stop the trace.
The majority of entries on my logging were from my laptop as well but by excluding them from the results (described in the link you posted, right click, etc) I ended up with a few lines that had come from the server which showed me the ip address.
This might be different if the server does not have a fixed ip address and is already set to DHCP. In that case you could connect it to your network and find it on your router in the connected devices list / DHCP lease list

I followed these instructions exactly. The server cycles through its boot sequence until the lights turn amber (because its not contacting the web) and then I stop WireShark. There are only two ips showing up, the ipv4 and ipv6 for the laptop. When I filter them out the only thing remaining is 0.0.0.0 which is a protocol that shouldn't even be there and can't be the server. This is starting to annoy me.

As far as it being set to Dhcp, I should be able to log into it by using http://my-kaleidescape but that's not working which is what led me to this point.

If you send me the serial number, I'll check the logs with support tomorrow and see what the last reported IP address was for the server, maybe it will still be the same.

Jim

If you send me the serial number, I'll check the logs with support tomorrow and see what the last reported IP address was for the server, maybe it will still be the same.

Jim
S/N: 0000 0000 2605

That'd be awesome, thanks Jim

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_20200411_193303.jpg
    IMG_20200411_193303.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Maybe you'll sort it out sooner, but I'll check in the morning and get back to you.

Jim

Here's what the logs say:

Last IP was "Static" and set to: 192.168.3.20 (You should be able to reach the server using that IP, unless the prior owner set a different address while the server was offline.) I've sent you a private message (Conversation) with additional info.

Good luck!

Jim

So that didn't work... I set up a new router so I could have multiple ports and when I did I found the Server on the network, it appears to be a dynamic address. Regardless, even knowing the address I still can't log onto the server. This is getting extremely frustrating.

Attachments

• KServer on network.png
    KServer on network.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 18
That being the case, it sounds like at some point it was set back to DHCP while it was not reporting back to K (because the last IP shown in the logs is the one indicated above). Hopefully not, but this might end up being a board problem. Good luck with the next attempt!

Jim

Yeah, my cable gets here Wednesday. If I can't log into it directly via service cable then I'll figure out my next step. It wouldn't show up on the LAN unless it was booted up though.

Back