• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

My New Tech/AV/HT Endeavor - Techthusiasm

I love owning and using my @kaleidescape but I also feel there's a call to action to address and improve some elements. No product, platform, nor company is perfect. Here is some constructive feedback I'd love to see actioned.
By coincidence I had stumbled across this video this morning having watched a couple of your others previously all good but this one seemed particularly spot on with our early experiences having had it recently installed. I would have added the frustrations with constantly having seen K reps and dealers online reference the enticing option of lower cost migration of your existing disk collection only to find that this is a very misleading claim. It is possible but it really isn’t viable or practical for a new owner because it requires you to locate a legacy disk player product, buy it second hand and then go through what seems a more than clumsy cataloguing process. The risk of second hand purchase alone making this silly and having to buy a disk product at the very time you are moving to digital is comical.

To balance this we love the K and what it promises in terms of quality and convenience but it would benefit from the points you make but TbH the D2D thing really nags at us. Maybe we will get past it at some point. I have to say that before we confirmed purchase we watched a video interview recorded in only Nov last year with a K employee citing it in detail as a great way to mitigate the cost of moving your collection. It’s clear they see it as having removed a barrier to entry but they can’t be bothered to organise a non legacy alternative. Weird.

I plan to contact Kaleidescape directly on this in the UK if only to ensure they understand this and maybe ‘to lance the boil’. I should add that we don’t have a massive disk collection by many standards, circa 700 I think and we may well not even bother moving most of them across. It’s not the volume or the cash even, it’s feeling misled. I should be clear that our actual UK dealer/installer bears no fault on this. Sorry I am all but ranting now and off the points and so will stop

Your video was a good one, excellent points and clearly made in a balanced and fair delivery I thought.

Great points. Many discussed. Seems like K’s customer base is shifting a bit from their pure luxury base to now include top enthusiast. With what Is happening to physical media coupled by the use of streaming (instant access), folks don’t want to search for discs anymore to have the best. Seems like K should at least invest in some QOL upgrades to their existing interface. Get a focus group together and generate ideas. They did some great things in creating their mobile app. Do something similar for GUI 2.0.

Are you thinking about buying into @kaleidescape for your #hometheater and transitioning as a #Bluray physical media collector wanting to do disc to digital? Please watch, like, and comment.
Enjoying these videos. Good balance of appreciation for K and analysis on opportunities to improve (y)

There are a couple threads on this over the years, but you did a fantastic job in pulling the topic together. Thanks. SJ.

I love owning and using my @kaleidescape but I also feel there's a call to action to address and improve some elements. No product, platform, nor company is perfect. Here is some constructive feedback I'd love to see actioned.
Very well articulated Jaremy! I agree with all of your points and hope Kaleidescape is listening and working on improvements in the areas you listed.

New video on Kaleidescape and Control4 for some lighting and aspect ratio control automatically with the JVC projector.

Nice! You can show the entire K movie covers in full scope (if you want).... Probably depends on your usage of K vs. other sources, etc.

Nice! You can show the entire K movie covers in full scope (if you want).... Probably depends on your usage of K vs. other sources, etc.

Yep, I've considered that, but most everything else I might switch to is 16:9, so I think it's generally easier for me leave that as the default.

Thoughts on recent price increases and packaging changes with Kaleidescape and other home theater gear.

I have a little different point of view on the Kaleidescape pricing. If you look at my table below, Kaleidescape hardware costs $12-31 for each HD movie and $20-50 for each UHD movie. I chose to go with the Terra with 72TB capacity. I pay a $12 to $20 premium for my movies for the Kaleidescape convenience and quality over disc releases and other online streaming services. It really isn't too bad if you look at it this way.

Model:Capacity: (TB)Capacity: (4K)Capacity: (HD)MSRP (Full)MSRP/TBMSRP/UHDMSRP/HD
Compact Terra6100160$ 5,000.00$ 833.00$ 50.00$ 31.00
Compact Terra12200325$ 8,000.00$ 667.00$ 40.00$ 25.00
Compact Terra18300490$ 10,000.00$ 556.00$ 33.00$ 20.00
Terra488001300$ 18,000.00$ 375.00$ 23.00$ 14.00
Terra7212001950$ 24,000.00$ 333.00$ 20.00$ 12.00

I think it is a great way of looking at the value of the Kaleidescape system when coupling it to the cost per movie as you have. Yes the initial outlay may seem high but for what you get in return I believe it represents great value for money.

As usual, nice work J! (and thank you)

Jim

Back