• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

My 4K Gap Analysis: Disc has 5x the Exclusives of K

Ok, I’ll add in the following UHD titles: Black Hawk Down Director’s Cut, Night of the Comet, Basic Instinct (!), Léon (Intl Cut), Lifeforce, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Nightbreed, Quigley Down Under, Chernobyl miniseries, and Breakdown

How does this fit into this discussion? I guess we are talking about exclusives only?

@Edgar you are definitely a fan of boutique label discs. :)

The current K Store is a digital movie store like Apple TV (iTunes) and Fandango at Home (Vudu). If you looked up your list on either of those, you'd find that vast majority of the titles aren't available digitally. K's just in the same boat as everyone else.

There are a few items on your list that are on K in 4K, but lack the HDR (Dolby Vision) found on disc:
Ran was on the K Store in the last year; I was surprised to see it no longer available for sale (might be a hiccup):

Raw Deal isn't available in 4K in the US yet.

These Disney flicks are exclusive to disc and not available digitally:
Prey, Star Wars: Andor, Star Wars: The Mandolorian S1 & S2

These are the only 4K titles on your list that should be eligible for addition to K:
The Elephant Man
The Martian Extended Edition
Starman
Star Trek TMP: Director's Cut
The Wicker Man

Many of the other HD and DVD titles fall into similar categories and are unavailable digitally. Some highlights that should be available that I'd personally like to see added include Enemy Mine HD and Return to Oz HD.

Ok, I’ll add in the following UHD titles: Black Hawk Down Director’s Cut, Night of the Comet, Basic Instinct (!), Léon (Intl Cut), Lifeforce, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Nightbreed, Quigley Down Under, Chernobyl miniseries, and Breakdown
Night of the Comet, Life-force, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Nightbreed, and Quigley Down Under are boutique (Shout & Criterion).

Black Hawk Down's Director's Cut (which it isn't) was brought up in the Missing Alternate Cuts thread and is limited to DVD.

Basic Instinct 4K isn't yet available in the US.

Leon: The Professional Extended (Intl Cut) is available on K in 4K. The issue is the Extended Cut w/Atmos is limited to 4K SDR:

Theoretically, K should have access to Chernobyl (HBO Series) and Breakdown (Paramount).

Last edited:
How does this fit into this discussion? I guess we are talking about exclusives only?

That list is 4K movies on K that aren't on disc. This discussion is 4K discs that aren't on K.

The list of 4K not on disc hasn't been updated in some time. I'm sure if someone took the time to do so they'd find that quite a few titles have made their way to physical media. Further, due to changes in the market, the number of 4K discs not on K is growing weekly. If the pendulum hasn't swung back, it's likely to in the not too distant future.

But, this is physical vs. digital, not discs vs. K. Apple is worth 3 trillion dollars and doesn't have these movies digitally.
It's not a K issue, it's the market. (Now, not having The Abyss Special Edition in 4K HDR is definitely a K issue.) :)

Night of the Comet, Life-force, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Nightbreed, and Quigley Down Under are boutique (Shout & Criterion).

Black Hawk Down's Director's Cut (which it isn't) was brought up in the Missing Alternate Cuts thread and is limited to DVD.

Basic Instinct 4K isn't yet available in the US.

Leon: The Professional Extended (Intl Cut) is available on K in 4K. The issue is the Extended Cut w/Atmos is limited to 4K SDR:

Theoretically, K should have access to Chernobyl (HBO Series) and Breakdown (Paramount).
BHD “Extended Version,” pardon me. Definitely available on UHD as I have it in hand.

Léon only shows up as the theatrical version in K. I base this on runtime. If you’re seeing something I am not, I am definitely eager to learn.

BHD “Extended Version,” pardon me. Definitely available on UHD as I have it in hand.

Léon only shows up as the theatrical version in K. I base this on runtime. If you’re seeing something I am not, I am definitely eager to learn.
I stand corrected on Black Hawk Down. Not only is it on the 4K UHD, but Vudu has it digitally:
That should definitely be added to K! Thanks for this.

I can confirm that the K release of Leon includes Theatrical and Extended in HD and 4K SDR, and Theatrical only in 4K HDR. The Extended Cut has Atmos in both HD and 4K SDR. (Extended 4K HDR w/Atmos is missing.)

Ran was on the K Store in the last year; I was surprised to see it no longer available for sale (might be a hiccup):
Ran must have changed hands, or is currently changing hands. I own the 4K HDR version, but when I look at it now, there is no studio information listed.

I stand corrected on Black Hawk Down. Not only is it on the 4K UHD, but Vudu has it digitally:
That should definitely be added to K! Thanks for this.

I can confirm that the K release of Leon includes Theatrical and Extended in HD and 4K SDR, and Theatrical only in 4K HDR. The Extended Cut has Atmos in both HD and 4K SDR. (Extended 4K HDR w/Atmos is missing.)
I appreciate the info on Léon! I don’t see that info on the listing. Perhaps an oversight?

Attachments

• IMG_1587.png
    IMG_1587.png
    555.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1586.jpeg
    IMG_1586.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 6
I appreciate the info on Léon! I don’t see that info on the listing. Perhaps an oversight?
Yeah, all of K’s interfaces are pretty bad at communicating options on Leon. The alternate versions aren’t special features/extras. In your screenshot from the web, click on Show Features. You can also look at Show Available Audio Tracks.

Yeah, all of K’s interfaces are pretty bad at communicating options on Leon. The alternate versions aren’t special features/extras. In your screenshot from the web, click on Show Features. You can also look at Show Available Audio Tracks.
Not to deviate off-topic, but are there any other notable titles you can think of that do not disclose alternative versions being included?

Not to deviate off-topic, but are there any other notable titles you can think of that do not disclose alternative versions being included?
The only times I'd consider something "hidden" is when K only has one version but it's actually an alternative cut. Examples include Robocop and Peter Jackson's King Kong. In general, you'll find alternative cuts in the Show Features section, and not in Special Features/Extras. That's a more recent thing, and something I find rather frustrating as it likely means the alternative cuts are lower resolution and/or lower audio (Avatar, The Abyss, Aliens).

There's also the rather confusing situation where multiple cuts are listed in Show Features, and one of them is simply "Movie". Most likely this is the Theatrical Cut, but it doesn't say so. This was a source of confusion for Leon. I remember this film simply being "The Professional", with "Leon: The Professional" becoming the norm on home video as the extended cut. So, in my head, if I see "Leon: The Professional", I assume extended cut. Oh well.

I'm at the point where I'd rather K simply release/sell all of the alternate cuts separately. At least on some higher profile titles. That way K could see who actually cares about these, and whether they're worth investing in. Apple/Fandango offer all three cuts of Apocalypse Now in 4K Dolby Vision, but you have to buy them separately (or in a bundle). Meanwhile, K only has Final Cut in 4K HDR and the others are limited to HD. WTF?

If resources are limited, then charge for everything. But, continually offering "lesser" releases just makes me buy the disc.

If resources are limited, then charge for everything. But, continually offering "lesser" releases just makes me buy the disc.

I quite agree and having finally given up on Abyss and Aliens I am now importing Abyss on disc. The thought crossed my mind that were it not for the films I have already paid for on K that I would probably be better off with R_Volution especially as I have almost finished ripping all my discs. I have 53% space left on my 22TB Terra and honestly at this rate I am going to struggle to fill it as my disc collection keeps expanding.

Could I be the first person to replace K with something else? Perhaps K should get a new tag line 'A pretty good movie platform, if a tad on the expensive side, that is slowly over time becoming less relevant'.

I do hope that K doesn't eventually become a 4K SDR only platform for theatrical release versions targeted at small/boutique cinemas.

'A good movie platform, if a tad on the expensive side, that is slowly over time becoming less relevant”

Considering all of the movies from Amazon, Netflix, snd smaller studios, and other missing titles, et al, I’d say that is a pretty fair description.

'A good movie platform, if a tad on the expensive side, that is slowly over time becoming less relevant”

Considering all of the movies from Amazon, Netflix, snd smaller studios, and other missing titles, et al, I’d say that is a pretty fair description.
I would agree if the Amazon and Netflix movies were actually good movies. I'm not saying that all of those movies are bad, but I don't waste my time trying to watch them bc most of them haven't been good in my eyes; but your mileage vary.

Where I'm disappointed with K is that there are several newer films from the smaller distribution houses that K doesn't have, but that are available on the major streamers. If I had to guess, those smaller distros want to charge K more than what K is willing to pay; and likely more than what the big streamers are paying.

The current K Store is a digital movie store like Apple TV (iTunes) and Fandango at Home (Vudu). If you looked up your list on either of those, you'd find that vast majority of the titles aren't available digitally. K's just in the same boat as everyone else.

There are a few items on your list that are on K in 4K, but lack the HDR (Dolby Vision) found on disc:

Raw Deal isn't available in 4K in the US yet.

These Disney flicks are exclusive to disc and not available digitally:
Prey, Star Wars: Andor, Star Wars: The Mandolorian S1 & S2

These are the only 4K titles on your list that should be eligible for addition to K:
The Elephant Man
The Martian Extended Edition
Starman
Star Trek TMP: Director's Cut
The Wicker Man

Many of the other HD and DVD titles fall into similar categories and are unavailable digitally. Some highlights that should be available that I'd personally like to see added include Enemy Mine HD and Return to Oz HD.
Sorry for the delay in replying, it's been a busy couple of days.

Thank you for taking the time to review my list and give some insights into what I'm experiencing.

And yes, I do appear to be fan of the films that boutique labels are picking up. I'm not sure there's a consistent defining characteristic for what boutique means other than the studios have chosen not to release the 4K versions themselves. Why a studio would choose one Oscar-worthy or indie film to publish itself versus license out doesn't seem to be a thing I can make sense of. As it happens, this large volume of boutique 4K discs only made itself evident when I catalogued discs I had watched maybe just once, and so not among my 150 core priority movies for me after all. But even the once is meaningful, I enjoy seeing those movies in my dedicated theater.

And yes, I get that most of these titles are under physical exclusive deals. Knowing the reason doesn't really help the situation. I still have to keep using and buying discs to get the full quality I want out of my theater. It's not a huge problem, but rather something I felt was a bit swept under the rug.

And while I will find myself sometimes watching things in HD, it's only for shows that have no chance of getting to 4K. I am prioritizing the sharpest 4K visuals possible. I watched Andor on 4K disc last night, and it is so much sharper and with much more immersive audio than the Disney+ stream. That this full 4K version is only on disc is something I'll have to keep dealing with.

Luckily, I don't expect this will be the majority of my viewing. I'm relieved that the vast majority of my movie viewing is handled well by Kaleidescape. Especially for new movies, as another member mentioned. There simply isn't a single solution to have access to best versions of all film and television. If anything, that's my main point by noting the discrepancy in title collections.

The only times I'd consider something "hidden" is when K only has one version but it's actually an alternative cut. Examples include Robocop and Peter Jackson's King Kong.
Quick note: I just discovered that the K Store has both cuts of Peter Jackson's King Kong in 4K HDR. If you search, you'll only see one. It isn't listed as the Extended Cut, but the length gives it away. However, there's an "Other Editions" link on the listing that will take you to the Theatrical Cut. Again, the artwork and everything else looks identical. In this case, it really is a "hidden" cut.

(Usually the "Other Editions" link refers to an older version of the film no longer available, or legacy functionality from disc cataloging.)

Quick note: I just discovered that the K Store has both cuts of Peter Jackson's King Kong in 4K HDR. If you search, you'll only see one. It isn't listed as the Extended Cut, but the length gives it away. However, there's an "Other Editions" link on the listing that will take you to the Theatrical Cut. Again, the artwork and everything else looks identical. In this case, it really is a "hidden" cut.

(Usually the "Other Editions" link refers to an older version of the film no longer available, or legacy functionality from disc cataloging.)
So when you buy the one you get both versions automatically, correct?

So when you buy the one you get both versions automatically, correct?
No, you have to buy them both. Which I support. But, it's very weird that you don't get two different listings when you search the store (I have to think that this tanks sales of the Theatrical Cut). Perhaps this is because they're named the same? Maybe @MikeKobb should check this out.

Back