• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Music zone linking?

rgbyhkr

I'm wondering if anyone else thinks this would be a useful improvement. As it stands now, you can have music playback through any Movie Player and of course through the 4-zone Music Player. However, you can't link zones so that they are simultaneously playing the same thing at the same time (sharing the same NPL). All Music Zones are independent of one another.

I discussed this with Diptish and also with Chris at CES and they disagree with the usefulness of being able to link zones. K's view is basically that for true multi-zone audio distribution, you'd be hooking up the Music Player to a multi-zone amp with a control scheme that determines what plays where. My contention is firstly, not every user will necessarily want to use the Music Player when the Movie Player can do audio as well. That will obviously depend on how many audio zones you want in your home and where they are, etc. But if you only have Movie Players, you may not have the player's output routed to a multi-zone amp (or even want to do that).

Beyond that, and perhaps more importantly, will you necessarily have multi-zone audio routed to rooms where you already have a Movie Player? In other words, if you have a Movie Player in your family room with a surround setup, will you definitely have separate speakers (in-ceiling/wall, etc) for distributed audio? Now, you could have a setup where a centrally distributed audio system routes a line-level out to an input of your surround processor in the family room. But if you already have the Movie Player there, you could seemingly achieve the same effect if the K allowed for linked music zones. Again, it's about choice.

Part of the reason why I feel strongly about this request stems from the fact that other music distribution solutions already allow for this capability. Sonos, SlimDevices, Apple's Airport Express, Yamaha's MusicCast, Olive's Sonata clients, etc all allow for this. So, it's not unique. And, while I'm sure it's no simple task, part of the beenfit of using proprietary hardware is that features like this are more feasible to implement. As an example of the contrary, Sonos' Desktop software doesn't include audio streaming. Part of the reason why they say they don't is because of linked zones, which is a core feature of their system. They say that doing this would be extremely difficult on a desktop application when hardware varies widely from computer to computer. Again, I'm not saying it's easy, but it certainly is possible. It would be nice for installers and customers to have more options when configuring a system for audio as well as video playback.

What do you folks think?

Jeff

Add my vote for this type of linking...

I have a multiroom controller downstairs, so yes, I can link my zones that way. But I have a separate system upstairs - and like Jeff said, it's a discrete audio zone and I have a movie player upstairs, not a music player. I can see for a party wanting to link the zones so the same music was playing throughout the house.

--josh

Even with linking you still will need a control system to turn on the local A/V receiver and select the proper input. I use a matrix switcher that will send line level to the local A/V receviers and the whole house distribution amps as you said.

cmcjo said:
Even with linking you still will need a control system to turn on the local A/V receiver and select the proper input. I use a matrix switcher that will send line level to the local A/V receviers and the whole house distribution amps as you said.

Yes, issuing commands remotely still exists whether you're distributing line-level to a receiver/processor or linking multiple zones within the K system. This problem exists for every situation where a control system isn't in place or the source distributed audio piece isn't directly connceted to an amp or speakers (a la Sonos). I'd still like the option to link the players if I wanted to.

Jeff

I share that a feature to allow music videos to play synchronized (or quasi-synch) between our movie players would be a great addition. My use case is a multi-ambient home where my visitors are hanging around. I would like to be able to have a playlist with music videos playing on all these rooms.

For audio I use a Linn Intersekt at the heart of my system which allows distribution of any audio signal to any or all rooms simultaneously. Take the phono (RCA) output from a player and plug it into the Intersekt and that is it..... Fully controlled with my old pronto remotes and linked to the iPad etc. Sounds simple and it is if you understand how to program the Intersekt or of course your Linn dealer can help.

Back