• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Music Player display question

JerryL

Situation- we have a music player which outputs to a multi zone setup for whole house audio. Control is via crestron touchpanels.

Desire- to have the information from the music player displayed in a particular zone by the *movie player* in that zone.

I can't figure out if this is even possible. Any thoughts?

Jerry,

I have 2 movie players in my house that I am using for distributed audio (a his and hers) along with distributed movies, which both feed multiple rooms each controlled by a Crestron touchpanel. The touchpanels will provide the information about the particular song being played in that room. I would assume the music player would also allow the same thing.

Scott

Possible solution

Keep in mind that I don't have a music player, I only have 2 MP2s.

There is a setting on the Preferences tab using the installer web interface which states (paraphrasing):

(1) Movie player only control their own zone
(2) Movie player controls all music zones

I would expect based on what I see with the MP2s that you could control the Music Player via the display/onscreen menu of the MP2 in your target zone.

Hope this helps. Let me know if it works.

Good luck,
Jay

Using setting 2 of the earlier post, I was able to select/control what was playing in the other zone. It would make sense that the other zones, whether controlled by a MP2 or a music player should be similarly controlled.

Right- But in my current setup I have a Music Player which has 4 zone outputs which go into the home audio distribution. If I use my family room movie player as a source, its audio stays local to the family room TV. I suppose we could find a way to split the audio but what I would like to see from K is a way to associate a movie player with a particular audio zone- call it "linking". This way, if I am entertaining and I want the family room TV to show the artist details, etc, it can be done.

I suppose we could find a way to split the audio but what I would like to see from K is a way to associate a movie player with a particular audio zone- call it "linking". This way, if I am entertaining and I want the family room TV to show the artist details, etc, it can be done.

That's precisely what the "Movie Players are allowed to control all music zones in the system" setting is for. Once you enable that setting via the Installer Web UI, the Now Playing screen of any movie player in your system will have a new "Control Zone..." option above the Random and Repeat buttons. You can select which zone you wish to control here. NOTE: If you name one or more of your Music Zones "Unused" then they won't show up on this list. Simply select the zone and your Now Playing screen will display the information about what is playing in the selected Zone. This will be independent of what is playing on your movie player.

For example, say your 5 zones in question are named:
Family Room (your movie player)
Zone 1 (Your music player)
Zone 2 (Your music player)
Zone 3 (Your music player)
Zone 4 (Your music player).

On the movie player in the family room, you start playing some Springsteen. Meanwhile, in Zone 1 -- let's say it's the bar area, you've got some Rush kicking it old school. Then -- using "Control Zone..." -- you switch your MP to Zone 1. You're Now Playing screen will show the Rush tracks and you have full control of Zone 1. Any changes to the playlist you make will be heard in the bar, not the family room, where you'll still be hearing Springsteen.

If you really want to get fancy, you can do this all via the control protocol as well using the SET_CONTROLLED_ZONE and GET_CONTROLLED_ZONE commands.

Thank you!!- I knew there would be an option for this that I must have been overlooking. It works great. I'm gonna use those RS232 commands. :)

Back