• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Music Playback License Required?

KTDJ

Hello fellow forum users,

I recently picked up a used 5u server and when I inserted a few CDs into the connected players/readers to listen/ import them I was given an error "No Current Music Playback License". The page also stated the license is available for purchase. Is this something K still sells? Do they charge for this or do they simply activate on their end?

In the early days (5U was first Server offered by K), because of contracts K had with various entities, you had to purchase the the Music playback license in order to store and play CD's. There were other fees as well (additional video streams, etc., (and we all paid an annual fee, $750+ IIRC, for the software updates). Some folks didn't need the Music Playback license, so there are 5U's out there that never had that license added. I think it was available up until a few years ago, but really don't remember. I would contact your dealer to have them ask K if there is anyway to offer the license to you if it's important. It has not appeared on dealer price sheets for a long time, but that doesn't necessarily mean it cannot be purchased, I'd check with K.

Jim

Thank you @cinelife ,

I reached out to them and I will post a version of their response in case others have this issue in the future.

One more question: Is music playback included on newer servers or does this impact all servers shipped before a certain date?

Yes, but only in the Premiere line. I cannot remember when the transition occurred, possibly with the introduction of the 3U server, but as some point the price of the server was all inclusive. The annual fee was also dropped.

They also used to have 2 different server packages - 5 streams or unlimited streams. When they dropped the pricing for newer servers, their older servers got the unlimited streams package and the newer ones had the 5 stream package, which preserved the perceived value of the older servers and it was priced such that the newer servers were as expensive as the older ones when the unlimited streams and music licenses were added. I think this was mainly done to avoid the bad feelings one might get if there was a $5k price drop shortly after you bought your system.

Forgot to update everyone on this but a simple email to support took care of the issue. They just asked for the serial number of the servers I would like to enable music playback on and that took care of it. As an example of how awesome K support is, they replied to my email even on Christmas Day!

Back