• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Music is here... maybe Photos next?

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
The music/CD module was top priority, rightly so. Now that that's here, I suspect (hope?) that we'll see a photo module. I'd love to have my Kscape take the place of my Roku... and it seems that importing and displaying photos (or just displaying photos that are on the home network in a shared directory) wouldn't be that hard.

I can imagine an awesome Kaleidescape interface to navigating photo collections...

Anyone else vote for this as the next software module?

--josh

I wasn't really expecting photos anytime soon. But if it came, I'd probably be on of it's biggest users! I have a large library of photos that I would love to share over my K.

Also a huge benefit for me, it would allow my family to share my pictures with the same ease we share movies on all 5 TVs now. And, that would be the last real HT function of my HTPC being replaced :)

This is a tough one. I don't think K necessarily wants to be a jack of all trades. But of they do anything, they always do it very well. The question is whether it's worthwhile for them to spend a lot of development effort on it. I'm not sure as there are other things I'd like to see added way before this.

The other issue, kind of similar to existing digital music libraries, is how they handle storage of the photos. I don't think that storgae on the K is the best idea. The reason why is photo management. Many users manage photo collections on a computer. So, if K forces content to be on their server, I'd be uploading photos to 2 different systems. And then, I'd likely not have tools on the K to do things like crop, rotate, red-eye reduction, etc. So you're then talking about transferring photos in some way after they've been edited on the computer to the K. I'd rather see a Media Center Extender type approach where they just link to a netwrok share of my photos. I still upload once and manage on the computer and the K just pulls from there. They may see it differently though.

It quickly goes from a simple and easy addition to something a lot more complex...

Jeff

Good point... oringially, I liked the idea of the secure storage of the kscape, but I think you're right it should work like a Roku - no local storage of photos, for just the reason you point out.

Back