• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Music Database Updates

Joe

Just wondering how often Kaleidescape is updating the music database these days. Imported new Metallica Hardwired... album two weeks ago and it's still unrecognized. Pretty popular album so I'm surprised it hasn't made it into the database yet.

I don't think they use their own database for music. I remember reading or watching somewhere that they use one of the major music databases for information. I believe it wasn't Gracenote,(iTunes uses Gracenote) but the "other" big one.

Hopefully someone else can chime in?

I was wondering how the music database updates unnamed tracks? Yesterday for the first time I started importing CD's. Some CD's I burned from music I purchased years ago on itunes and are a mix I personally made others are regular purchased CD's. All CD's import just fine but with zero information except for a select few. Before I start doing all of my music I wondering if individual tracks get scanned (like in Itunes when importing) to fill in all the data? Does it have to be initialized on the server?

Thanks

I was wondering how the music database updates unnamed tracks? Yesterday for the first time I started importing CD's. Some CD's I burned from music I purchased years ago on itunes and are a mix I personally made others are regular purchased CD's. All CD's import just fine but with zero information except for a select few. Before I start doing all of my music I wondering if individual tracks get scanned (like in Itunes when importing) to fill in all the data? Does it have to be initialized on the server?
Thanks

The music database will only recognise full albums. If you've created a mix album, you'll have to enter all of the track data manually.

On regular CD’s that I have imported that were missing data I haven’t seen any of these get updated automatically. I just go in and add the information that is missing (cover art, album title, artist, track info, etc.).

John

Nothing on the music side ever seems to be updated and even some very mainstream CD's are missing artwork. Even when you add artwork yourself there is no guarantee it will stay. I have updated disks in my collection manually so as to have no missing covers and then I go back some time later and there are 20+ missing artwork once more, sometimes the same disks and sometimes different ones.

DVD's are slightly better but generally they are very rarely updated and even when they are subsequently available from the store they still show as unrecognised.

Your frustration is shared by others. I'll try to get an answer regarding CD support going forward, but I would expect there to be some degree of support for awhile given K still sells a Premiere line Server (1U+) that states it is capable of storing CD's. Based on comments like yours, and similar from others, it appears metadata support isn't as good as it was in the past. Not sure why.

Jim

K uses Rovi / Allmusic.com as the source for the music database as far as I can tell. The reviews present on some albums mention this.

I think that's correct, but not sure. I'm just interested in finding out why artwork disappears, including self-generated, reported by some owners.

Jim

Back