• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Multi region 4K display?

Drhemi

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I currently have 2 Kaleidescape M500 players, 1 for each region A and B. It works great into my Kuro 141 which is compatible with 50 and 60Hz content. Wonderful setup! My Strato is region A only as it can only access the Canadian Kaleidescape store. It is currently displaying only 1080p because of the display.

The problem I face is trying to upgrade to a 4k display. All sets that I am aware of in North America are 60Hz compatible only as they are TVs, not monitors. European models are compatible with both 50 and 60Hz. I could try a processor such as the HDfury 4S or Radiance Pro, but these will introduce judder from the frame rate conversion. I have yet to see this to find out how noticeable it will be. Does anyone know of any displays (not projectors) that are compatible with both frame rates and available in U.S.A. / Canada? Is it possible that the manufacturers could change this with software only or is it a hardware issue?

Thanks,

Wayne

I may be answering my own post here, but I just found that the upcoming Sony Z9 will handle all the resolutions and frame rates that I am concerned about. This is the first North American set I have seen which offers this compatibility! Excellent news indeed for a potential 4K upgrade that will work with my multi-region K system.

Wayne

I may be answering my own post here, but I just found that the upcoming Sony Z9 will handle all the resolutions and frame rates that I am concerned about. This is the first North American set I have seen which offers this compatibility! Excellent news indeed for a potential 4K upgrade that will work with my multi-region K system.

Wayne

All 4K TV's will support 50 & 60Hz, not just the new Sony Z9 :)

All 4K TV's will support 50 & 60Hz, not just the new Sony Z9 :)

This is not stated in the specs. The 50Hz resolutions are conspicuously absent on North American models (Sony, LG sites checked), whereas they are listed in Europe. As an example, The Sony 940D specs do not include 50Hz while the specs for the Z9 do mention this specifically. Perhaps the sets are indeed compatible, but the specs and manuals just don't mention it.

I will be demoing an LG next week and am bringing along my multi-region Oppo to test it out.

Thanks for your input.

Wayne

Last edited:
I'll be at a demo of the new Sony Z9 models next week with Reps from Sony, I'll confirm and post after the demo.

Jim

I'll be at a demo of the new Sony Z9 models next week with Reps from Sony, I'll confirm and post after the demo.

Jim

Thanks,

I'll look forward to your impressions of the Z9 as well as it's 50Hz compatibility.

Wayne

Jim

Hi Jim,

Did you get to the demo of the Z9? What are your impressions? Did you get a chance to confirm PAL (50Hz) compatibility with the reps? I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts.

I did some testing of PAL material with an LG G6 last week and it was hit and miss. It was hard to determine if the fault was a compatibility issue vs syncing problems between the Oppo player and the input on the display. Most DVDs did not play. Some blu-rays played and some didn't. Of interest was that some blu-rays which we could not get to play on my region- free Oppo (they did play at home so not the Oppo's fault) did play on the store's Samsung UHD player. I don't know the region configuration of the new UHD players. As I understand it, all UHD Blu-rays are region-free. I only brought material that would not play on my older (2007) Sony display.

All the best,

Wayne

Hi Wayne, very disappointed, drove 4 hours believing the Z9D's would be available to evaluate, but they were not at the demo. It was a few of the other new models and some of last years still being sold. Also saw one of the newer Sony projectors and the 5000ES (Laser) PJ. While all of the displays looked great, and the 5000ES was incredible (as expected, I'd seen it before an sold a few), the Z9D's were not available. I have seen the 65" Z9D, and the image is the best I've seen on a TV, saw it with HDR material as well and looks great. I will be bringing them into my collection soon.

I was able to confirm that all of the Z9D models support PAL content, and the Rep was "fairly certain" switching is "automatic and seemless."

I can confirm for certain at the end of this month, I will be bringing the 75" Z9D in to change out a TV in one of my guest rooms, so I'll post again at that time.

Jim

Thanks, Jim!

Great info and I look forward to your further impressions when you get your new guest bedroom set. I envy the guests at your place. With this in the room, they may never leave. :)

Wayne

That's why my Mother-in-law will never be in that room!:D

Jim

Wow- this looks like a seriously impressive display! Do you guys know how it compares to the OLED displays? I saw a LG OLED I think in 65" size and it was really impressive- the colors- my goodness- I don't think other displays will look very good to my eyes again. But the max size is 65". It seems Sony can go larger with what looks like their take on local dimming LED. Is that correct?

I have a 65" OLED and the Sony 65" Z9D looked just as good to me, and with some material I thought it looked a little better. Both have incredible Blacks, and difficult to assess contrast with these displays as both are incredible, but with some material the colors appeared slightly better. Here is a link to Sony's hype on the tech behind the image, this and the newer X1 Extreme 4K processing chip combine to create a stunning picture. I've ordered the 65" and will get the 100" when released.

http://www.sony.com/electronics/high-contrast-ratio-led-backlit-4k-hd-tvs#BacklightMasterDrive

Jim

Does the Strato even have regions, despite not having a drive? I guess it might have to report something, for BD playback, but had never really considered it before.

Stratos have a Blu-ray region in the same way that M300 players have Blu-ray regions. Remember that Blu-ray region is enforced at playback time by the software on the disc requesting the player's region code. So M300/Strato needs the ability to respond accordingly even though the optical drive they are using to play the disc resides in a different device (the vault/disc server).

Back