• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Mozaex?

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Anyone have any experience with this product?
http://www.mozaex.com/

looks heavily influenced by Kaleidescape.

Claims to allow BD ripping to the server without keeping disc available or in a vault. (i'm sure it requires a 3rd-party decryption utility).

http://www.mozaex.com/

Sounds like a great product - a shameless copy of Kaleidescape without the legally imposed restrictions....
Until you read the disclaimer in very small font that says "*While Mozaex is shipped with licensed decryption software that is used to play back optical DVD and Blu-ray discs, it may not be able to load or play some or all DVD and Blu-ray movies."

Shameless....

Anyone have a price list for what the components cost? Just curious how the hardware stacks up. Also wonder if you have to buy replacement drives through them or if you can buy any drive you want.

And I am *really* curious how they can legally rip BluRay without vaulting it. That's...strange.

--Donnie

The founder of this company was also a key player in Axonix, which is essentially the same company with a new name, and some product name changes. My business was signed on to sell Axonix products as well as K because of the price point differences at that time (K has since introduced products priced to reach that additional market segment). Axonix went belly up years ago and left many vendors, dealers and owners in the dark, some without support, and not happy.

I guess they figured they could file bankruptcy (I assume they completed that process), avoid their debts, and start over. Mosaex has been in business ever since Axonix was shutdown (or close to that date). I would never own one of their products, not only because they cannot do what K does, but because of the way they go about their business, and their prior involvement with the failed Axonix.

Jim

They do seem quite a bit unprofessional on their own website, too. I could kind of get behind "comparison" charts with competition, but they're down right attacking in what they do. They also have some grammar issues and a general feeling I don't like. Oh, and the fact that you have to *request* info on a dealer and there's no dealer list "out there" is a bit telling, too.

But I'm still curious how they compare at the nuts and bolts level.

--Donnie

I researched them when looking for my K system and never felt comfortable at all with what they were saying. Add to that the comments hat I read on AVS, similar to what Jim posted above and the decision to stick with K was easy. Just reading the legal section of their website is enough to leave many unanswered questions and they do really seem to attack K and be very selective of the wording that is posted. In terms of pricing, I believe that they say they start around 3k for their smallest server.

..............But I'm still curious how they compare at the nuts and bolts level.

--Donnie

While I cannot fairly comment on the Mosaex systems (have not tried one), if I assume they are based on the Axonix system ( I have worked with those), then as compared to a K system I'm not impressed. We experienced too many call backs for system issues, and received many complaints about freeze ups, audio issues, and movies failing to either import or playback. There were also movies that ended up with different covers being displayed. In addition their GUI was not even close to the functionality associated with the K experience, it was more like the GUI found in the MS version used by most media servers and DIY'ers.

That said, there were some satisfied owners that didn't mind the occasional hiccups, and to reiterate, Mosaex may be a much better system now.

Jim

I looked into being a dealer for Axonix back in the day. I also looked into Mozaex. Glad I didn't go that route on Axonix. Don't regret passing on Mozaex one bit.

I do find it ironic that they claim "We believe that there are statements on Kaleidescape’s web site that are not accurate or reflective of our product and our understanding of the United States movie copyright laws" but at the same time, they state that no Kaleidescape systems can import DVD now and also claim that there are only two studios in the Kaleidscape store.

I also think it is funny that they say it isn't illegal to buy or use decryption software - only to make it or sell it or give it away. OK, so it is legal to buy but illegal for somebody to sell it to you. Wink wink, nudge nudge.

If I stopped doing business with someone because of past failures, I wouldn't do business with anyone. 90% of American business was founded on some failed business in the past; if they didn't fail they wouldn't know how to get it right the next time. People that allow perceived ills to stop them from doing positive things stay right where they are. When you find the perfect company let me know. I also don't expect any objectivity on any other product other than K on a K-based website and from people who have so heavily invested in K. If K is all you see, even with technology advancing every day, that is your choice. I choose not to be so closed minded. I'm no angel (neither is K) and I don't expect to always do business with angels. Life is too real for fake perceptions!

To be clear about my comments, they were not based on a former Axonix founder/owner starting a new business. As you stated, it happens a lot in business. They were based on that founder/owner essentially "restarting" the same business, but with a new name, and walking away from Axonix creditors and owners.

Although I have always acknowledged a bias in favor of K products, that bias was formed based on my personal experience working with their products, customer support, and interacting with K's management team. My bias in favor of K is further supported by those same interactions with Axonix, and one other similar company. I'm open to new tech from anyone, and always keep an open mind when evaluating new products (the operational word there is "new").:)

Jim

Mozaex runs on the Windows platform, and if you look at their hardware, it is all OTS available (internals).

Pi

Mozaex runs on the Windows platform, and if you look at their hardware, it is all OTS available (internals).

That actually makes it better for consumers so they don't have to (for example) pay 10 times the cost for a 3TB Hitachi drive that can be bought from Amazon for $108.

I will give them one thumbs up. They allow their units to be an "all in one" media hub. That is, they allow the integration of Hulu, NetFlix and streaming music services. Sometimes, you just don't want to own Transform 3, but want to what a couple "things" bounce around and other things blow up...

Back