• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Moving to a 3U server. Newbie question

sennay

Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Currently using a 1U server with 4 x 3tb drives and moving to to a new 3U server with several 4tb drives as my 1U has now run out of storage.

I've already pre sold my old 1U server (without my drives). My question, is it just a matter of inserting my existing 4 x 3tb drives and adding the extra 4tb drives or are there other procedures I should perform,

Thanks in advance
Sennay

If the 3TB drives from the 1U server are inserted into an empty 3U server and a new 3TB or 4TB drive is added to become the Hot Spare you should be back in business.

Thanks for that.
I was going to add an extra 4 x 4tb drives which should hopefully last me a while.

Just fyi, any drive that has been previously installed in a Server can only be used in either the Server it was originally in, or an empty Server (new or used), unless the drive is sent to K to be reinitialized (after which it can be used in any Server).

The order in which you place the drives (3TB / 4TB) in your Server does not matter.

Jim

... but since you've only "PRE-sold" your 1U server, you could set up the new server with the 4 new 4TBs in it, do a server replication to move all the content from the 1U --> 3U, THEN sell the 1U to your buyer empty, send your old 3TB disks to K to get reinitialized, and then either sell the old smaller drives or put them in your new server.

Thanks for that guys.
I've sold the 1U without drives so my 3tb drives that have all my software are staying with me and going into my new 3U.

As long as the new 3U contains no drives you will be fine.:)

Jim

Thanks Jim.
No it's brand new so as I say I'll pop in my existing 4x3tb drives and brand new 4x4tb drives :)

Sounds good!:)

It's funny how we now talk about 3TB and 4TB drives as the norm, it wasn't long ago that I thought 500GB drives would be all I needed, and then along came Blu-ray.........:)

Jim

Back