• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Moving content in Encore Systems

SJHT

I have 2 Stratos and 2 Altos (as well as a DV700). I have a lot of bluray quality movies stored on my Stratos as I had those prior to the Altos. How can I move HD (not 4K) movies from my Stratos to my Altos to create more room on the Stratos for 4K movies including HDR versions? I guess I could delete them, unplug the Stratos and redownload, but what a pain that would be. I know that Premier line has this capability, but can't seem to find anything. Also sent the request to my dealer. Not a high priority as I still have plenty of room for 4K at this point. Might also be nice is this was automatic. If there was not enough room for a 4K movie, the system would move movies automatically to make the necessary room. :) Thanks. SJ

I may be wrong, but I believe the only way you can do this is to go the route you suggested of deleting and re-downloading. I recently asked what options I had of going the opposite direction and transferring content from a Cinema One to a Strato and was told that it's only capability is to download store content.

It should be possible to split your system (i.e., divide it into two separate systems, one of which has the Altos and one of which has the Stratos), then replicate from the Strato system to the Alto system. Replication wouldn't attempt to copy any 4K content to an Alto, so the result should be that it would move all of your DVD quality and Blu-ray quality content on the Alto system.

Then, after verifying that the replication was a success, you would delete all of the Blu-ray quality and DVD quality content from the Strato system, and (finally) merge the two systems back into a single system.

You may need your dealer's help to do this, because replication is a feature that has to be enabled on a system.

Mike,
Not to derail the topic, but am I correct that you cannot replicate imported content from a Cinema One to a Strato or Alto if that content is not available on the Store?

Alto and Strato cannot store content imported from discs. So, that's correct. If you were to replicate from a Cinema One to an Alto or Strato, any Movie Store content you had on there would be able to be replicated, but that's it.

It should be possible to split your system (i.e., divide it into two separate systems, one of which has the Altos and one of which has the Stratos), then replicate from the Strato system to the Alto system. Replication wouldn't attempt to copy any 4K content to an Alto, so the result should be that it would move all of your DVD quality and Blu-ray quality content on the Alto system.

Then, after verifying that the replication was a success, you would delete all of the Blu-ray quality and DVD quality content from the Strato system, and (finally) merge the two systems back into a single system.

You may need your dealer's help to do this, because replication is a feature that has to be enabled on a system.

Is there anyway to tell where a movie is stored? I might just start to delete some and redownload from the store. Are Altos favored when downloading bluray quality vs Stratos? Nice if there were some type of maintenance function to optimize storage across a system. SJ

There's not a way directly find out which component a given movie is on. The workaround is to turn off components. If you turn off all but one player, then the movies you see on the screen or in the browser interface are the movies that are on that player. (Note that cataloged discs show up on every player that can play them, but that's not important for what you're trying to figure out.)

In a system with a mix of Strato and Alto players, the system tries to download DVD quality and Blu-ray quality movies to the Alto(s) first, to preserve space on the Strato(s) for 4K Ultra HD content.

Needs to be powered off, not just in standby. Or, you could just remove the network cables temporarily.

I figured out I could go into the history log and review all of my bluray quality purchases I had done prior to installing my new Altos. I had two a Strato systems prior to obtaining the additional Altos. Seems like I could delete these movies from my system as they would have to be located on my Stratos. Then, re-download from the store. They would then go to the Altos. Sound correct? Thanks. SJ

Back