• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Moving C1 info to 1U Server.

ISW23

I am nearing the point of needing more storage space.

Cinema One : 4 x 500gb (210 dvds approx)
1U Server : 3 x 750gb + 1 x 1Tb (205 dvds approx)

If i get a new 4Tb drive for the 1U Server, is there a way to transfer the info on the C1 (which i'm looking to sell to get more 4Tb drives) to the 1U Server?

Thanks

Ian.

Yes. The process is called replication. It needs to be facilitated via your dealer. Kaleidescape support will enable the replication feature on your system so you can transfer content from the source server (the C1) to the target server (the 1U). Obviously you need sufficient capacity on the target server to replicate the content of the source server. If your 1U is near capacity I suggest you delete enough content from it to accept the C1 content. Replicate, then sell the C1. Then participate in the server exchange program (Kaleidescape will send you a refurbished 1U, this will be your target server). Then replicate from your 1U. Then send your 1U to Kaleidescape under RMA for exchange credit. Then re-import all the content you deleted off your 1U originally. You will end up with a set of new 4TB, a refurbished 1U server with 3-year warranty, and all your content from the C1/1U.

The other option is to hold on to the C1 until after all replication then you won't have to delete/re-import any content i.e. sell the C1 after all your content is on the new server. It just means that you need to front up the money for the exchange server before you have the money from the C1 sale. In any event your dealer needs to be involved, just see what they can do for you.

I am nearing the point of needing more storage space.

Cinema One : 4 x 500gb (210 dvds approx)
1U Server : 3 x 750gb + 1 x 1Tb (205 dvds approx)

If i get a new 4Tb drive for the 1U Server, is there a way to transfer the info on the C1 (which i'm looking to sell to get more 4Tb drives) to the 1U Server?

Thanks

Ian.

The comment by Brodric above regarding replication is true, BUT, unfortunately, you will not be able to accomplish what you are asking by adding ONLY one 4TB drive. That first 4TB of storage capacity added to the 1U Server will be allocated to the KRAID function and will not be available to accept new content from your C1. Absent available storage capacity large enough to accept the C1's content, you will not be able to replicate to the 1U.

Also, there are two separate promotions available from K regarding expanding storage capability, the disk cartridge trade-up promotion (described by Brodric above), and the 1U Server Trade-Up program. Your dealer can explain the details of both.

Jim

As Jim notes it doesn't make much sense to replace a 750Gb in your 1U with a 4TB because you only get an extra 250Gb storage, which in all practicality is no different to replacing a 750GB with a 1TB. Plus the 750Gb that you remove from the file system becomes virtually worthless. A single 4TB doesn't do much for you until you put a 2nd 4TB in the file system. And if you're going to buy 2 of them you might as well buy a whole set and basically get a free refurbished 1U with 3 years warranty to sweeten the deal. And all this time "failing" single discs in a 1U file system to add capacity, whilst it works, is not something that Kaleidescape advocates. The proper way to go is to replicate the old file systems to a new one and run a single 1U full of 4TBs. That should keep you going for years!
Alternatively you might be able to pick up a used file system of 4x2TB here as a more economic short-term solution and sell your C1 and old drives out of the 1U (but they aren't worth much now unless you trade them with the server). Only that option becomes awkward unless you can borrow a 1U from somewhere to replicate the content over.

Thanks for the info guys,i think i will bite the bullitt and upgrade to 4 x 4TB drives & replicate the C1 content to them.

After Replication.

Thanks for the info guys,i think i will bite the bullitt and upgrade to 4 x 4TB drives & replicate the C1 content to them.

Hi Guys,I went for 4TB upgrade program and i am now in the middle of replicating content from 2 x 1U servers & my C1.(1 server is going back to kscape)

Once replication has finished,is there anything i need to do to the servers/C1 before i pack them up for resale/return?

Ian.

Great advice...changing the network settings back to DHCP could prevent a few headaches for the new owner.

I take it you just move to trash then permanently delete from each server?

Correct, move to trash, then delete (empty) the trash. It's a two step process to remove the content.

Jim

Back