• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Moving 24TB Terra from A/V rack

soGM

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
I need more room in my A/V rack. If I move the Terra to another room, will my network address change for the Terra and muck everything up?

No, not unless you change it yourself. (Obviously it still needs to be connected to your LAN.)

Jim

I think the answer is - it depends. I use static IP addresses for all my Kscape gear, so I've never had any issue. However, if you are using DHCP, the IP address can, but doesn't always, change after a reboot. I don't use a Terra server, but I suspect that the Kscape player sends a broadcast packet to find the server and may not depend on the IP address staying the same. If that is the case, it won't matter what you do. If you want to play it safe, set up the Terra with a static IP.

That is true (DHCP), but I've never had one change the IP by moving it around the house, but keeping it on the same LAN. (I do agree with the fixed IP comment.)

Jim

I personally only used fixed IP if there are no other options (on the device). However, I do reserve IP addresses via my router which ensures the device always gets the same. Maybe there is no difference, but makes management of my network a bit easier … SJ

I vote for MAC reservations as well. This guarantees your devices keep the same IP address, and you don't have to worry about resetting a device to DHCP if you end up selling it or move it to another network.

Just to expand a bit on what others have already said — Kaleidescape components will “discover” each other on your LAN. They don’t depend on the IP addresses staying the same or anything like that.

There are two reasons you might want to assign fixed IP addresses. One would be if you want a consistent IP to access the browser interface (but we do support MDNS discovery so that’s not strictly necessary). The other would be if a control system needs to have a consistent IP address to communicate with a player. That may not be necessary depending on your control system (For example, our latest Control4 drivers support SDDP discovery of our current players.)

To everyone here - thanks. I have been battling noise issues with my Terra for a while. Not excessively loud, but with a room with a low noise floor - sufficient at times to be annoying. Until I read this thread I had forgotten that the server doesn't have to be in the same room, only on the same network - "gee do I feel a little sheepish".

Now removed to another location and everything is lovely and quiet.

To everyone here - thanks. I have been battling noise issues with my Terra for a while. Not excessively loud, but with a room with a low noise floor - sufficient at times to be annoying. Until I read this thread I had forgotten that the server doesn't have to be in the same room, only on the same network - "gee do I feel a little sheepish".

Now removed to another location and everything is lovely and quiet.
Great News!

Back