• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Movies with Incorrect Aspect Ratio Information

thrillcat

I've been noticing some titles listed in the Kaleidescape Movie Store with aspect ratio information that doesn't match the actual movie file. I'm going to begin a list here so we can track and hopefully get them corrected.

I try to get my projector's lens memory and screen masking system configured properly before hitting play, and I'm using the information given to select the settings. When this information isn't correct, it kills the mood in the room when I have to pause and reconfigure. The most common instances seem to be listed as 1.85 when the content is actually 2.0.

If you find anything please comment and I'll add to the list.

• MOVIE, Listed AR, Actual AR
  • Next Exit, 1.85:1, 2.0:1
  • Jurassic Park Dominion, 1.85:1, 2.0:1
  • Jurassic World, 1.85:1, 2.0:1

This has been covered several times. Here’s some good info:

Once you understand what K is doing, you can actually pull additional info from the control system to figure out the “real” aspect ratio. Example, when the Strato reports 1.85, you can look at other info and determine it is really 2.0, etc. K really needs to add a new field in their control system that has the actual AR. A new field would not mess up current usage. SJ

This has been covered several times. Here’s some good info:

Once you understand what K is doing, you can actually pull additional info from the control system to figure out the “real” aspect ratio. Example, when the Strato reports 1.85, you can look at other info and determine it is really 2.0, etc. K really needs to add a new field in their control system that has the actual AR. A new field would not mess up current usage. SJ

I’m not using a control system which is why it’s important that they publish accurate info.

I have my C4 stuff all programmed to auto change the lens memory based on the content meta data/triggers from K, but I'm thinking about changing it and just managed it manually. It's kind of a pain when it goes off wrong or if I'm just demo'ing things in and out, I think I want to just control it myself. I look forward to the coming Halo remotes and the hard buttons to be able to link programming.

Updating the list.

MOVIE, Listed AR, Actual AR
  • The Northman, 1.85:1, 2.0:1

Updating the list.

• The Green Knight, 1.85, 1.78

Looks like I need to make a 2.0:1 lens memory zoom setting. I've taken the auto lens memory model selection based on K reported aspect ratio out of my programming and have just been selecting manually.

Looks like I need to make a 2.0:1 lens memory zoom setting. I've taken the auto lens memory model selection based on K reported aspect ratio out of my programming and have just been selecting manually.
I have my JVC programmed for 2.4, 2.2, 2.1, 2.0, 1.85, and 1.78, with hotkeys on my Harmony for 2.4, 2.0, 1.85 and 1.78 so I can quickly set the proper aspect ratio, and my Seymour Proscenium screen has hard stops for 2.4 (all open) and 1.78 (all closed), but I have to manually stop for the in-between.

As others have mentioned, control systems know how to interpret cues from the Kaleidescape, but the K doesn't include all aspect ratios in their metadata, and I don't have a control system so it's all a moot point.

I believe, if I recall correctly, that @MikeKobb stated at one point that the metadata that triggers control systems is pulled from a different source than the info that populates the onscreen movie info, though I've also been wrong before.

I'm of the opinion that regardless of what it's telling control systems to do, and regardless if it's coded to tell a control system to set to 2.0:1 or 75:4, the onscreen movie guide information should be 100% accurate so those of us who are just old school and set things up manually before pressing play can actually have the correct information before pressing play.

The fam humors my tech-geek tendencies and we all enjoy watching movies, but when I have to pause a movie 3 minutes in to login to IMDB and check the ACTUAL aspect ratio and then manually change things, it gets on their nerves. Seems pretty simple to just display accurate AR info, and that's what's on my wish list.

The fam humors my tech-geek tendencies and we all enjoy watching movies, but when I have to pause a movie 3 minutes in to login to IMDB and check the ACTUAL aspect ratio and then manually change things, it gets on their nerves. Seems pretty simple to just display accurate AR info, and that's what's on my wish list.

Yep, 100% on this.

Updating the list.

• The Green Knight, 1.85, 1.78
I'm seeing "The Green Knight" as 1.85 not 1.78.

John

I'm seeing "The Green Knight" as 1.85 not 1.78.

John
This is an interesting title. I don’t have it on K, I pulled this info from another users’ post on another thread. IMDB reports as 1.85 as well, but I have the disc in my PLEX and it plays back as 1.78.

This is an interesting title. I don’t have it on K, I pulled this info from another users’ post on another thread. IMDB reports as 1.85 as well, but I have the disc in my PLEX and it plays back as 1.78.
I just checked The Green Knight again on a TV display and I'm going to remove it from the list. It is definitely 1.85:1.

Updating the list.

There are LOTS of movies that were shot 1.85 that playback as 1.78. Same goes for movies that are listed as either 2.35 or 2.4. Those aspects are thrown around a lot but typically always end up being 2.4 (there are some exceptions). So even IMDB may show one and you'll see another.

We are starting to see more 2.0 content, especially from streaming service productions. I know Jurassic World made a big deal out of shooting in that format when it first came out as well, so not surprised to see it causing drama.

There are LOTS of movies that were shot 1.85 that playback as 1.78. Same goes for movies that are listed as either 2.35 or 2.4. Those aspects are thrown around a lot but typically always end up being 2.4 (there are some exceptions). So even IMDB may show one and you'll see another.

We are starting to see more 2.0 content, especially from streaming service productions. I know Jurassic World made a big deal out of shooting in that format when it first came out as well, so not surprised to see it causing drama.
As a filmmaker/producer myself, I completely understand that there are multiple aspect ratios being used today. I also understand that Kaleidescape is sending data directly to control systems, and there are techniques/hacks at play to make things work.

I'm just saying that, as a bare minimum, at least the DISPLAY data could show the proper aspect ratio for those of us who are configuring systems manually so we don't have to stop the movie and make adjustments.

I really don't know why people think I'm wrong or this is a major ask, or it's not a big deal.

I don't think you are wrong or this is a major ask, I think it is definitely valid and should be easy to update the information on K's info screen since they generate it directly and can actually look at the content and determine the aspect.

One of the reasons K doesn’t want to change their current control system info is that it might mess up current installations. There are ways to compute the correct AR using other info (masking data). They should just add a new field in their control system that has the correct AR. This would not be used by current installs, but could be used by new ones or folks who want to change their control system. Lumagen does this when they add new capabilities. They just add a new field so it doesn’t impact current installs.

One of the reasons K doesn’t want to change their current control system info is that it might mess up current installations. There are ways to compute the correct AR using other info (masking data). They should just add a new field in their control system that has the correct AR. This would not be used by current installs, but could be used by new ones or folks who want to change their control system. Lumagen does this when they add new capabilities. They just add a new field so it doesn’t impact current installs.
I don’t care about the control system info. I want the display info to be accurate.

I agree with thrillcat. K should at minimum make sure the posted aspect ratio is correct. That is a clerical vs a technical meta data change so would have no potential ramifications with legacy setups. Just get it right.

Just dug back through my older posts to find this, which seems to indicate that the info exists and should be easily implemented into the display:

Back