• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Movies have been "Completing update" for days...

Chris-T

Can anyone advise what this means? The two movies appear fully downloaded from the state of the blue progress bar but don't show up in the server's history and on the store, I am told they have already downloaded. Should I just queue them up for re-downloading or is there something else I should try?Screenshot 2020-07-08 at 09.00.26.png

Do they appear on your movie list while using the On-Screen Display. If so have you tried to play them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This situation usually occurs when the original version of the movie being updated is no longer present on the system when the new version has finished downloading. Part of the update process (aside from downloading) is to attempt to preserve the collection membership(s) so once the download of the new version of the movie has completed, the system looks to see what collections the old version is a member of and assigns those same memberships to the new version. After that has completed, the old version is deleted and a notice is sent back to the store to report that the update has completed.

There are two situations where the update wouldn't complete:
1. After queuing the update for download, the user manually deletes the old version of the movie from their system. This prevented the delete request at the end of the update from completing and so the headend is never informed that the update has completed. This was a bug that we missed during initial testing and was fixed as part of the 10.7.2 release so this situation shouldn't be happening any longer.

2. An update is queued for a title that was originally downloaded to a file system/disk that is no longer part of your system. This is a more complicated situation that can be caused by having missing disks or by removing servers from the system in odd ways.

The bottom line is that assuming your system is online properly, the "Completing update..." phase should not take very long at all. If the download status has been showing this for a full day it's likely never going to change on its own. You should reach out to Support so that we can take a look at your system to figure out what is going on and to clear the update state.

TL;DR:
Best practices when using the automatic update feature:
1. Do NOT manually delete the old version of the movie after queuing the update. This confuses the system. If you are running low on space such that you can't download the new version without deleting something, then delete the old version of the movie and queue the new version of the movie for download using the normal "Download..." button rather than the "Update..." button.

2. If an update status is stuck at "Completing update..." on the store and the movie is listed in your library, deleting it won't help. In fact, in almost every case, you would be deleting the new version of the movie not the old one.

OK - this seems more complicated than I thought! I am going through a process of replication of my 3U and 1U server to a new 1U+ server which may be the "removing servers from the system in odd ways". But what is more bizarre is that the movies does show up on the on-screen menu and I could play it despite both my Premiere and Encore servers showing no record of the movies on the system...

#1 is unlikely if you have fixed the bug as I had deleted the movies (they were stored on the Premier system) so I could re-download them to the Terra Server. It is not however an update but a new download. Perhaps this is a new wrinkle to the known bug?
#2 As I said, I am replicating but I deleted movies from the Premier system to re-download to the Encore which has not changed any configuration other than adding a second Terra.

I will wait a while (I am downloading a lot at the moment) and if it doesn't clear itself I will contact Support.

Back