• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Movie Trailers and the lack of them

stephen

Movie Trailers for all movies or at least more then they have.

At my home we do Thursday Night Theater for friends and family (2-3 times a month). Everyone loves the system but the most asked question is can we watch the trailer? What this means is I have to turn it to the Apple TV and use YouTube. With us gathering more and more studio rights to Kaleidescape I would think we could include that as part of the deal. Especially with newer movies.

Its not like I am asking for the "Jungle Book" (old school version) :)

I second this. I think it would be a great addition to have integrated access to trailers.

Are you guys primarily interested in trailers for the movies already on your system, or trailers for stuff you might want to watch in the future?

Really both - but different use cases.

In the case of the Kaleidescape UI, I envision trailers as an addition to scenes. Helping to select a movie for viewing.

In the case of the Kaleidescape Movie Store, I envision trailers as an addition to the existing information about that movie. Helping to select a movie for purchasing.

I would like to see trailers added for future movies. It would be great to add Cover Art and Trailers for Star Wars Force Awakens. Then when it is released for purchase, the Digital Offer is engaged and we can purchase directly from the onscreen guide.

I would like to see trailers added for future movies. It would be great to add Cover Art and Trailers for Star Wars Force Awakens. Then when it is released for purchase, the Digital Offer is engaged and we can purchase directly from the onscreen guide.

This sounds very similar to a feature that I would love to see:

As someone that loves movies, I would like to be able to switch the Cover Flow interface into "Explore" mode, where it would operate as if all the Movie Store movies where in my system, so I could find movies I am interested in purchasing (downloading) the same way I find movies I am interested in viewing.

Thoughts

At first my thoughts were just the movies that we have on the system already. Before playing the movie some of them have the option to view the trailer for that movie. If we could get more of these on there that would be great. It might take a bit of hard drive space but for a 2-5 min trailer it isn't going to be much (probably about 100mb if your storing it on the server high res).

Another thing is with the scripts we could add some clips or whatever really to go before the movie.

I know we all like Kaleidescape because no warnings or anything before the actual movie but maybe have an option to watch x (you select how many in settings) number of current movie trailers before the movie starts. Then another option so if you have that enabled you could click play a second time and it would just skip it. Lets be honest sometimes I would like to see them sometimes just start the darn thing :)

That being said I also 2nd the other things that have been said.

Good ideas fellas. I think yes, its very nice to avoid all the commercials etc, but a few trailers does much to recreate the cinematic experience and put you in the movie mood. Like a nice appetizer as part of a delicious meal.

With the movie store and the link to the studios content, technically it shouldn't be too much problem to play trailers. Not sure about the legal side. But I like your ideas!

I hate seeing a half dozen anti-piracy warnings before every DVD I watch, but I don't mind a trailer or two when I am in the theater, especially if I can skip them if I am tight on time or not in the mood.

I remember watching the Nothing But Trailers show on HDNet just to see them.

I'm new to K scape but this is something that stood out as a must have almost immediately. I think this is a great idea and something needed.

Mike is this something that can be on the radar for kscape? I think this is the year we could make some great UI improvements and I'm glad to see some of our ideas looked at.

Give me a reason to get rid of my Apple TV :) or at least nothing to do with movies / tv shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Stephen,

We do our level best not to comment on product/feature roadmaps, so this is going to fall under that policy.

I do want to clarify that, generally speaking, if a trailer is available on a disc, we bookmark it. If a trailer is available to us for a movie in the Movie Store, we include it with the download.

Let's put it this way Apple TV has the movies and trailers to go with it. Every movie. Not a couple here or there.

I get the secret roadmap as well but being an owner of a pretty expensive product I like to see where it's going.

I remember watching the Nothing But Trailers show on HDNet just to see them.

I would love to have trailers of future releases. And...if I also had the capability to do scripts on the Strato I could make my own 4K UHD "Nothing But Trailers" demo.

John

Agreed that would be awesome with scripts. Anything from k saying they are going to add it back in?

I agree as well. Getting to watch a movie trailer in the UI would be really cool. I don't need them before the movie actually starts, but its nice to have the option to get a preview before committing to it!

I am a previous JRiver user, and before every movie night, I would queue up four trailers (current trailers also playing before movies in the cinema) in a playlist to get the audience engrossed in "the movie going experience." The experience was seamless, and the trailers transitioned to the movie just like in the cinema.

This was a HUGE hit, and it would be a huge benefit to Kscape users if the same functionality was offered. Ideally, it would be great to choose which trailers to play before a feature (in preparation for a movie night, for instance). However, even if the system automatically selected the trailers based on genre of movie being watched, it would still add to the experience (and is still better than the "Coming soon to Blu Ray" trailers that come on Blu ray Discs.

There is also a benefit to being able to play a trailer for the movie you're about to watch as well. I would sometimes do this to get the audience "ready." For instance, when Oblivion was released on Blu Ray, I played two action trailers, one drama, and then--the trailer for Oblivion. Everyone got excited, and then....the movie started.

Please add both of these features--they would really add a lot to "the movie going experience." I think the biggest issue people have with trailers is that 1) they're usually for other blu ray movies, and 2) skipping them is generally clunky. But current trailers, as well as the option to play the trailer for a movie you're preparing to watch...those are great features that more than a few of us would truly value and enjoy.

I’m a new owner and feel Kaleidescape should be ashamed of themselves for not having basic trailer functionality available. EVERYTHING else does it. So ridiculous!

Hello AlphaG,

Congratulations on your new Kaleidescape system!

This thread is actually rather an old one (last post was from 2016). Since this thread was active, we have added movie trailer functionality that works both within the Kaleidescape onscreen interface, and also on our movie store web site and within our iOS and Android mobile applications.

It's true that not all movies have trailers available. Many of our trailers come from a third-party service, and we have a vetting process to ensure that they meet a minimum quality standard, since many of our customers will be watching them on a large screen. So sometimes that means we end up having to reject the trailer for a movie to avoid a poor experience. Sometimes a movie that lacks a trailer on your player will have a trailer available in the mobile application, since the smaller mobile screens are not as revealing of quality problems.

I did a quick spot-check on my own home system just now, and 11 of the 15 movies I picked at random had trailers. We are working to improve trailer coverage as time goes on.

If you're not seeing trailers on any movies, then that's an issue we'd want to look into. Something might be causing problems with downloading the database of available trailers.

Thank you for the swift reply and apologies for the necro post, not sure how that happened.

Interesting your approach to trailers re: quality. I had not realized that was even a consideration. Personally, and I may be in the minority here, I would prefer to have something of lower potential quality, perhaps letterboxed to ensure that viewers know quality is not the full quality of the purchased movie, rather than nothing. I’m talking about the player here, not the app or website.

From years of watching movies at home I know that the trailer is not representative of the full movie quality, both audio and video (aren’t most trailers just in stereo?). But I get that your going for the full movie theater experience.

Of the 5 or so movies that I opened up on the store, none had available trailers. My assumption was therefore that you don’t do trailers for some reason. I just get lucky like that sometimes.

Back