• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Movie Playback Interruptions

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
I've been seeing an increase in movie playback interruptions. The movie stops and the following message appears in a dialog box:

"Cannot play movie"
"The movie cannot finish playing because of a temporary problem in the system. Most likely the network was disconnected. Please check your network and try again."

My network is fine, I haven't changed/added any equipment. I now have a dozen movies that regularly display the above message, probably will have more as I playback inventory. It was really frustrating the other night while demoing the unit to a couple of people. Two different movies had the same problem and I had to chapter ahead to get the movies to continue. Sometimes even that doesn't work. I e-mailed K-support to see what they think. Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Funny that you say that... I've seen this three or four times myself if the past month. One I cured by deleting and rescanning the disk. It seemed to be a problem on the reading of the disc, yet it didn't generate an error on import, only on playback like you described.

This definitely HAS happened to me more lately...

others seeing this?

Hi Josh,
Thanks for the input. I spoke with K-support today and they indicated this is normally an importing problem. Some disk's bad sectors can cause this problem. This is more likely the cause if the disks stop playing in the same spot each time you get the message (logical). The solution, if there is one, is to re-import the disk. If the disk has issues, it may never import properly. I'm going to re-import those movies and try again.

They also indicated this sometimes occurs because of an overloaded switch.

Jim

That's good to know... I've always solved the problem by reloading the disc. What's disappointing then, is that the system can't tell at import time that it had a problem and either automatically retry it or at least alert you that it wasn't able to properly capture the disc.

thanks for checking into it.

--josh

Apparently the load time is a good indication that the disk may have a lot of difficult or bad sectors, which is the likely cause of the "can't play" messages. Still, you would think there would be a firmware fix for this.

Jim

This happened to me on one disk and I just re-imported it and it worked fine. K-Scape told me that - as you all mentioned - it is an import issue. They also said that version 3.3 has improved a lot in this area so the issues with be less (if not gone) with 3.3 doing the importing.

I was told the same thing. Nice to hear you were able to resolve the problem by re-importing the disk.:)

Happy holidays!!

Jim

Thanks for the info guys. One question about updating to 3.3. I dont have any music players and it seems 3.3 is geared mostly to music. Mine is still 3.2. Should I force it to update or will it update when its good and ready?

Hi Jerry,
Updates from K are automatic and are normally done in a sequence to all the existing servers (that are current subscribers). Some will get the update before others, but it doesn't take long to get them all updated. Your update will just "be there" one day. There are software improvements for everyone (not only music player owners) in this latest release.

Jim

Back