• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

More responsive Replay button

dla26

Every once in a while I'll miss a line of dialogue and want to go back about 10 seconds. Maybe just to listen to it again or in some cases turn on subtitles in case I just can't make out what they're saying. Unfortunately, the Replay button is all but useless to me in that regard. I hit the button and there's a pause while it loads up the scene. My audio processor needs a few seconds to sync back up with the system, and by the time it does, I've missed the line of dialogue and have to go back even farther. I often just rewind a good minute or so to make sure that by the time the line of dialogue in question comes up, all of my components will be talking to each other.

Ironically, I don't have this issue when I hit the Back 10 Seconds button when streaming Netflix. It just jumps back 10 seconds with the audio still in sync. Doesn't miss a beat. I don't know if caching the previous minute or so of video would be enough to do the trick.

FWIW, the relevant components of my setup are:
  • Audio processor - JBL SDP-75 (essentially a Trinnov Altitude 16)
  • Video processor - Lumagen Radiance Pro
  • Projector - JVC RS4500K

I use a ”custom” button that includes two replay button pushes to overcome this. Of course, you can also just hit the replay button twice to get the same effect.

John

I suppose I could do this, but why should I have to? The Strato is a $4000 high-performance dedicated movie player, and the proprietary servers cost about $400-800 per terabyte. Meanwhile my $150 Apple TV 4K unit can do this with any streaming service I throw at it. I don't mind paying premium prices for a premium experience, but when I drop about $12k on a system, I expect the Rewind 10 Seconds button to work without freaking out.

Kaleidescape is designed as a high end system which means that it must work with control systems and be very flexible in capability. Since the system has to be able to work with many different component configurations and different user needs, it has been designed to be flexible and the “Skip Back” command has been made short (relatively). Then a control system can use as many skip backs as needed to meet system/user needs. This is as compared to an Apple TV that gives you 10 seconds - take it or leave it.

I would prefer to have the flexibility that K gives me.

John

It's not the duration of the Replay button I'm concerned with. It's the fact that the system basically treats it like it's starting up a new video playback and has to do all of the handshaking all over again. I'm not 100% sure of the implementation, but I suspect it's because the video isn't cached so if the system needs to jump back 5 seconds, it essentially has to reload the movie from that position. The Apple TV (and other devices) on the other hand cache the last minute or so of video so if the user wants to jump back 10 or 20 seconds, the system still has it in memory and can jump back without having to reload anything.

Back