• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Merry Xmas from James Cameron

One of my favorites as well - but then again, I haven't seen it in a very long time. Though I have downloaded it, I will wait to watch until the sound is upgraded to Atmos - which I hope is much sooner than later.
I couldn't wait for Atmos, been waiting too long for this release. You have more patience than me. I suspect it will come out around the same time the physical disc releases in a couple months. Maybe I'll rewatch it. The DTS track was really good with my 7.2.4 setup. If mixed well (and I bet it will be), the Atmos track will be worth it!

It's funny you say that. I remember it being not so good, but with all the hype leading up to it the last few months I thought maybe it was just me not remembering as well. It's entertaining, but not an all time great. The Abyss, to me, is a great movie.
True Lies is one of those movies I didn't like after seeing it at the cinema. I was expecting something between T2 and James Bond and thought the humor was out of place.
I ended up revisiting it on Laserdisc to check out the AC-3 soundtrack and loved it and now it's one of my favorites, can't wait to watch it this weekend in 4k with the Atmos remix!

One of my favorites as well - but then again, I haven't seen it in a very long time. Though I have downloaded it, I will wait to watch until the sound is upgraded to Atmos - which I hope is much sooner than later.
I saw the Abyss at the cinema in 70mm with 6-track Dolby Stereo and it looked and sounded amazing, I'm sure the 5.1 on KScape will be every bit as good if not a bit better and will probably up-mix quite well.

Curiosity got the better of me and I pulled the trigger on Aliens last night. As soon as I saw the Fox logo I knew something was off. Turns out the black level is raised on both the HDR and UHD versions which gives the film a washed out look. Just to make sure, I hooked my Strato up to my C1 OLED and confirmed that the opening on the bluray is true black and is raised on the HDR and UHD versions.

At this point I don’t see any reason to watch the new versions, I don’t really see any improvement in the colors and they have less detail and dynamic range. Truely disappointing release.

True Lies is one of those movies I didn't like after seeing it at the cinema. I was expecting something between T2 and James Bond and thought the humor was out of place.
I ended up revisiting it on Laserdisc to check out the AC-3 soundtrack and loved it and now it's one of my favorites, can't wait to watch it this weekend in 4k with the Atmos remix!
Some movies are like that. Much different on the rematch. The Devil's Rejects is a heart pounder the first time and nearly a comedy after that.

The Creator: According to the information about the aspect ratio of this movie (see below), it is supposed to be 2:40. However it has gray bars at the top and the bottom. I use a Lumagen (and A-Lens) and "forced it" to 2.35 and the bars are still present. In the many years I have owned a theater, I have never seen this. I'm not sure what aspect ratio it is but it is not 2:4 (or 2:35).

Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 6.28.56 PM.png

The Creator: According to the information about the aspect ratio of this movie (see below), it is supposed to be 2:40. However it has gray bars at the top and the bottom. I use a Lumagen (and A-Lens) and "forced it" to 2.35 and the bars are still present. In the many years I have owned a theater, I have never seen this. I'm not sure what aspect ratio it is but it is not 2:4 (or 2:35).
It's 2.76:1. Kaleidescape only notes the most common aspect ratios. Films at 2.0:1 are generally noted at 1.85:1.

I started a thread about this just to track titles, before I had my Lumagen to do auto-aspect. It was a bit of a bummer for my family to get all situated and then pause a minute into the film while I readjusted my lens memory and masking settings. I believe K has a base of ARs they use, and then their signals to control systems include an offset from those base ARs to get the proper framing, and those base ARs are all that show in the movie info window as well.

EDIT: Why, by the way, is this in the James Cameron thread?

True Lies I have fond memories of, yeah it’s cheesy as hell but it’s good fun. It was the first film me and a mate got into “under age“. It was a “15” over here and we were both 14 :-D

Back