• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Maybe it's time...

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I hate to even create a forum with this name, but given recent events and legal decisions, it may be worth discussing what else is out there that can permit the core Kaleedescape-type experience for DVD collections.

Looking forward to thoughts from those who have tried these systems...

--josh

Last edited:
Its been a while but from everything I tried they all suck compared to the Kaleidescape.
Including that garbage Max from AMX which I don't even think exists anymore.

I don't even know what is to stop Kaleidescape, should they lose their appeal, from just dropping DVD-CCA license and going to "install your own program into our server" route.

Their system might be a non-windows based program, but their old bulk loader ran on Windows XP. At issue is the loading, not the playback. If there is no CSS, then they don't need a license from the DVD CCA to play back the content on the server.

Technically, Kaleidescape would not even have to release such a produce - a person could create a bulk loader that strips CSS and loads to various media servers on the market, such as Kaleidescape or a network attached storage device. If that person got their hands on an old bulk loader controller, they might be able to produce it without even soliciting help from Kaleidescape although I have not tried this and don't know what challenges one could encounter. If a person made a small windows computer that could attach to a 200 disc carousel, strip out the CSS via AnyDVD or similar program and upload it to a server, I would bet they could sell quite a few of those if that gave an end-around to the injunction, should it stand. Of course, those would likely have to ship out of Hong Kong or some other country that has substantially different interpretations of copyright laws.

Maybe I am naive or getting wishful thinking, but I don't believe this fight is lost.

I don't think you're off track at all.

For me, I will tell you that like many others Im basically over DVD anyway. there are still a few things I get on DVD because I have to but the reality is I've become very happy with my Apple TV for things that Im going to watch once as opposed to adding to my collection.

Should be OK for a while... the case and legal maneuvering drags on...

Back