• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Making a Scene

cinesam

I love my Kaleidescape after having it for a few weeks. I think one of the nice/cool/smart features of K is the access to the pre determined scenes. After a movie, my wife and I would spend a little time and enjoy a few scenes from known older movies.

I am a hands-on DIY home theater guy and I want to do my own collection of scenes for demo of the system. I have seen one tutorial on this on YouTube which was at a dealer/installer meeting. Can someone do a step by step video (or even a script) tutorial on this topic or direct me to one that I may have missed. Thank you.

K needs to update their documentation for scripts. I always run into Premier documentation when searching their website vs. Strato (could be my poor searching). But, if you type your K system IP address/scripts that will get your started if you want to combine scenes into a script. It's pretty straightforward. Also remember if you update a movie all of your custom scenes will be gone. Wish they would fix this someday, but doesn't happen that often. Good luck! SJ

Also, if you want to tap into what users have already created (scenes and scripts) go to this resource page:

or this Scripting & Favorite Scenes sub-forum:

John

Let me offer a couple of tips for creating scenes that you'll be happy with. First some background. Due to various factors within the media engine, if you pause on a specific frame in the movie and then set that frame as the start of a new scene, it's not guaranteed that we'll be able to start playback on that exact frame. It will be close -- within a second, usually -- but it may not be exactly where you initially tried to set it.

It's also the case that once you've set the end point of a scene, you can't change the start point without losing the end point you set.

And, finally, the media player picks up the list of available scenes to play when you start playback of a movie. So if you are playing the movie, and you set a start point, you can't play that new scene from the playback options (Info button on your remote) without first stopping the movie, then starting it again.

So, taking all of those factors into consideration, here's how I create new scenes:
  1. Play the movie. Make sure that any options I might care about like subtitles or language are as I want them.
  2. Pause where I want to start the scene.
  3. Info -> New Scene -> Set Start of New Scene
  4. Stop playback
  5. Play New Scene
  6. If the start point is where I'm happy with it, continue to step 7. Else, go to step 2.
  7. Find the end point that I want and pause there.
  8. Info -> New Scene -> Set End of New Scene
  9. Stop playback
  10. Play New Scene
  11. If scene starts & ends how I want it, continue to Step 12. Else, go to step 7.
  12. Info -> New Scene -> Save New Scene
Pro Tip: If you have the Second Screen app on your iPad or M1 Mac, you can simplify things quite a bit, because while the media player won't pick up your new scene until you stop and then start again, the iPad will pick it up as soon as you set the start point. So you can skip step 4 and 9 and use the iPad to play the scene to check that you're happy with the in/out points. Do note though that if your system has a delay in syncing up audio or video, a scene that looks great played this way might drop a little bit at the beginning when played starting in the onscreen display, depending on your player's settings.

It's really pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Enjoy! I have lots of my own favorite scenes marked in my favorite movies.

Back