• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Make paired Encore/Premier systems = 1 system

Vodder

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Noticed this last week but appears having an encore system and a premier system paired doesn’t actually function as 1 system when counted as part of your 5 system allowance, it is seen as a count of 2 😬😞

caused me a headache and almost a bigger one had I taken an encore unit to my other address to pair it 🤯

no idea if this is contractual to that level but would be great if pairing encore and premier created a single system count. If you unpair them, then yeah, 2 systems.

otherwise, all of a sudden, 5 systems isn’t that much 🙈

Actual by design i believe. The Encore line comes with the Disney agreement included, the premier is an opt in. As two systems, i can purchase Disney movies on the store to download to my Strato, while also still being able to import them to my Premier.

The option in your case would be nice, but I'm glad it's not by default!

Kevin D.

Indeed, each system in a Co-Star pair is an individual system. This is for somewhat complicated contractual reasons.

However, we do recognize that this could cause you to bump up against the 5-system limit. For this reason, it is possible for our support folks to flag a Premiere system as a no-download system. That means that it does not count against your 5-system limit. Typically you would do this in a situation where you use your Premiere system for disc-based movies, but all downloaded content goes to your Strato/Terra system. You can have up to five Co-Star pairs on a single account using this method.

Indeed, each system in a Co-Star pair is an individual system. This is for somewhat complicated contractual reasons.

However, we do recognize that this could cause you to bump up against the 5-system limit. For this reason, it is possible for our support folks to flag a Premiere system as a no-download system. That means that it does not count against your 5-system limit. Typically you would do this in a situation where you use your Premiere system for disc-based movies, but all downloaded content goes to your Strato/Terra system. You can have up to five Co-Star pairs on a single account using this method.
It really is kind of a pain to have to do that. I have a 3U server with about 40TB of free space. I do disk based and HD downloads on the Premiere server and UHD downloads onto the Stratos. I would gladly sacrifice all disk-originated content on my system if I could redeploy the Premiere 3U server for use in a download-only system if I could get UHD on it in addition to HD and it would be a cherry on top of the sundae if I could also use the Disk Vault as a carousel player for playing disks of titles that are indexed but not in the store through the interface. That would be a perfect download-only Kscape system for me and it's actually my fondest Kaleidescape wish.

I haven't been on this forum in a very long time. I just noticed to whom I was replying.

Hi Mike. I used to know you as ReplayMike. Those were the days!

It really is kind of a pain to have to do that. I have a 3U server with about 40TB of free space. I do disk based and HD downloads on the Premiere server and UHD downloads onto the Stratos. I would gladly sacrifice all disk-originated content on my system if I could redeploy the Premiere 3U server for use in a download-only system if I could get UHD on it in addition to HD and it would be a cherry on top of the sundae if I could also use the Disk Vault as a carousel player for playing disks of titles that are indexed but not in the store through the interface. That would be a perfect download-only Kscape system for me and it's actually my fondest Kaleidescape wish.

I'm sure others would have the same wish.....unfortunately will never happen (actually not possible given both hardware and contractual limitations).

Jim

@MikeKobb didn't know that! Steve Shannon and Jim Funk were friends and colleagues of mine. Small A/V world!

Yeah, I was there starting shortly before the product launched, until just after the Sonic|Blue acquisition. Fun story: early on, one of the senior guys who worked on the low-level media playback engine asked me how he could bribe me to implement a search feature (which the ReplayTV originally didn't have). I told him I wanted slow-motion and frame advance. He agreed, we implemented those features on our own time, and the management team blessed them. It was a great group of folks. We had a nice little reunion in 2019, marking 20 years since the product first shipped.

By the way, I'm sorry to discover that AVS apparently deleted all of the posts under my old ReplayMike username. I wouldn't guess that they'd be of much value anymore, but if you happen to look at any of the ancient threads, they make no sense at all because people asked questions, I answered (now gone), people followed up, etc. Oh, well.

Back