• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

M700 Rack Mounting

mpierson

Hi everyone,

This is probably a question for Kaleidescape Support but perhaps someone on the forum might have a quick answer first…

I’ve had an M700 for years but have never rack mounted it. I want to do this now, but am unsure about a couple of things.

I have the rack ears but not the original screws. Does anyone know the specification for the screws - size, strength etc? I’m sure I can work this out, but if anyone knows the actual ones Kaleidescape ships with the vault, that would be better.

I have a basic Middle Atlantic rack (cheap, maybe not the strongest on the market, I’m not sure). It is the correct size and has a weight capacity of 400lbs so should hold the weight, but are there any other minimum requirements that I’m missing? The M700 installation guide doesn’t mention any.

Basically I want to be confident that the M700 - which is a bit of a brute - can be held with just support from the front rack ears and no support at the back before I attempt the installation!

Hopefully I’m worrying about nothing?

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael,

You can use any regular rack screw for mounting the M700. I have always used 10-32 (the basic, most common size) rack screws at the regular length (about 3/4 inch long) for this and have never bothered with the ones that come with the vault.

It is heavy, but the rack ears should hold it. I tend to position these devices near the bottom of the rack so as not to make it top heavy. I additionally use a rack shelf to add extra support (perhaps not necessary) but also to make it easier to install the vault as it just slides right in (after removing the feet). Then you can fasten the rack ears and it is very solid. The Middle Atlantic SH series Zero Rack space shelf is a great choice if your rack accommodates it. Here is a link to show this: Middle Atlantic SH Shelf. There are different sizes for different racks. The link is just one example.

IMG_1836.jpeg

I hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Wayne

I've found depth to be an issue more than anything. Unless you have a deep rack, cable routing and large power bars can be an issue.

Kevin D.

Are you referring to the screws that attach the rack mount to the M700, or the screws that attach the M700 to your rack? (as correctly answered by Wayne)

Jim

If so should be M4 screw, 6mm long (according to K).

Jim

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Jim, yes my question was about the screws that attach the M700 to the rack, which Wayne has helped with.

Wayne, that is very helpful indeed thanks, including the photos (look at all those vaults!).
Are you using cage nuts or do the screws thread directly into the rack without need for nuts?

And yes, a very good idea regarding the shelf for extra support and to make installation easier especially as I will have to do this on my own.

Kevin, yes, the M700 is very deep. When I had an AV installer run ethernet through the house for me some years ago, he sourced a rack for me that was not deep enough for some of my stuff and then left me with it! Learned the lesson - not for the first time - to double check every detail myself! This is the main reason I didn't rack mount it and although I subsequently bought a suitable replacement rack, I've never got round to properly mounting everything in it. Being stuck at home now, like many of us, I now have the chance to get many things in my house in order - no excuses!

I thread these directly into the rack as it (and I believe all Middle Atlantic and most if not all other brands here in North America) are threaded for the 10-32 rack screws. They are very solid once installed. BTW my rack is 26" deep and a perfect fit for the vaults. Deeper would not be a problem.

Good luck with your project.

Are you using cage nuts or do the screws thread directly into the rack without need for nuts?
It depends on the rack, as to whether you have round (threaded) holes that the screws go into directly, or square ones that need the nuts. I've found most manufacturers offer both, and for some reason I've always picked square.

It depends on the rack, as to whether you have round (threaded) holes that the screws go into directly, or square ones that need the nuts. I've found most manufacturers offer both, and for some reason I've always picked square.
Thanks for replying Transepoch, all very helpful to know. Planning to do it tomorrow!

Hi all,

just reporting back that I got the M700 nicely rack mounted, using the advice of you good people! Many thanks.

I have another question though, for the rack experts out there.:)

As Wayne advised, I’ve sourced some nice Middle Atlantic Zero Space shelves. Not for the M700, as I supported this with a sturdy 26 inch shelf, similar to Wayne’s photos. These would just be used as nice shelves for the non rack mounted stuff.

But the ones I’ve sourced are the 20 inch version. They are fine for my needs, but what’s the best way to mount them to a 26 inch deep rack? They are designed to be mounted at the front and the rear, but obviously don’t stretch the whole way to the back. Should I be looking for additional vertical rails that attach to the 20 inch depth point on my rack, or would I need horizontal ones for each shelf I want to mount?

And would these tend to be standardised items, available from many manufacturers, or would I need specific ones for my particular MA rack?

You would need additional vertical rails, which may or may not be possible (depending on the specific rack,) or simply don't load the shelves to where a 4-point attachment is required. Depending on the rack model, additional rails may be available as spare parts, or you would need to hunt for them used.

I have a DV700 rackmounted without any rear rails but I put it on the very bottom of the rack like @Drhemi so it is slightly safer in terms of keeping the center of gravity low for the rack, but also that location makes it so it couldn't fall or "droop" much before its own rubber feet would support it against the bottom of the cabinet, and couldn't damage any other components. Been that way for years, resting only on its factory rack ears, and it's never moved or warped even a millimeter.

You would need additional vertical rails, which may or may not be possible (depending on the specific rack,) or simply don't load the shelves to where a 4-point attachment is required. Depending on the rack model, additional rails may be available as spare parts, or you would need to hunt for them used.
Thanks all. Yes, in the end managed to find the the vertical rail kit for my Middle Atlantic Slim 5 rack. Had to have it shipped from the US to the UK and still to receive it!

Back