• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

M700 has static IP for wrong network - workaround?

jfh

I have a Strato C/Compact Server on my 10.x.x.x network. Trying to set up an M700 for cataloging but it’s on a static IP 192.168.1.209. I hadn’t thought to ask the previous owner to do a reset before shipping.

i have a test router set up for 192.168.1.x which the M700 is now plugged into. However it appears that you can’t do a network reset unless it’s connected to a server.

trying to connect to the M700 via browser is unsuccessful. I found some doc that seems to indicate I can change settings via a serial cable. if so, how?

I really want to find a way to reset the M700 without having to move my server as it will be very difficult to move the server upstairs and almost impossible for me to move the M700 downstair.

(I don’t have a K remote, but have one on order. I can’t find a way to get the remote function in the K iPad ap to work as it can’t find the M700 when attached to the test network.)

Any ideas? Will the serial cable idea work?

That's unfortunate. In the past I've looked at one of my 1500 server's diagnostic info via the serial port, but don't recall doing that for any of my players. I have a windows laptop and used a USB to serial port adapter along with the PuTTy (free download) terminal program. For that it wasn't too difficult, I just had to figure out the right COM port that the USB serial adapter was using along with the serial port baud rate that was needed.

Another thought might be to see if you can use your test router to bridge the 192.168.1.X network with your 10.x.x.x network. For example if your test router has a WAN port and the M700 is on the test router's LAN ports, you could plug the WAN port into a network port on your 10.x.x.x network and then disable the test router's firewall and adjust its settings (bridge mode) to allow traffic between the two networks. Perhaps that would allow your Terra to see the M700. However, I've never tried this and would also depend on the features of your test router, so can't be certain it would work.

After posting above I became curious if the M700 supported telnet so that you wouldn't need to have a serial port connection. In searching I found this thread from awhile back - reset M300?

So telnet is supported on port 10000 and post #4 in the referenced thread has the command to reset to DHCP. I tried a telnet connection with PuTTy just now to an M700 on my network and confirmed it worked. Here's screen capture of the PuTTy settings I used in case it's helpful. So if you have a computer with PuTTy connected to your test router that's also on the 192.168.1.X network, then you can enter the M700's IP address, select the Telnet option and then Open the connection. Then the terminal window should allow entering the DHCP command mentioned in the thread above. (Edited Image below with the correct PuTTy Options)

1668192864009.png

Attachments

• 1668192343928.png
    1668192343928.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
That's unfortunate. In the past I've looked at one of my 1500 server's diagnostic info via the serial port, but don't recall doing that for any of my players. I have a windows laptop and used a USB to serial port adapter along with the PuTTy (free download) terminal program. For that it wasn't too difficult, I just had to figure out the right COM port that the USB serial adapter was using along with the serial port baud rate that was needed.

Another thought might be to see if you can use your test router to bridge the 192.168.1.X network with your 10.x.x.x network. For example if your test router has a WAN port and the M700 is on the test router's LAN ports, you could plug the WAN port into a network port on your 10.x.x.x network and then disable the test router's firewall and adjust its settings (bridge mode) to allow traffic between the two networks. Perhaps that would allow your Terra to see the M700. However, I've never tried this and would also depend on the features of your test router, so can't be certain it would work.
Thanks. I found the serial commands so I’m going to try that when the cable gets here. Hadn’t thought of bridging. Can try that I guess. I’m just a bit concerned that the M700 doesn’t show up on the test network and doesn’t return a response when pinged.

After posting above I became curious if the M700 supported telnet so that you wouldn't need to have a serial port connection. In searching I found this thread from awhile back - reset M300?

So telnet is supported on port 10000 and post #4 in the referenced thread has the command to reset to DHCP. I tried a telnet connection with PuTTy just now to an M700 on my network and confirmed it worked. Here's screen capture of the PuTTy settings I used in case it's helpful. So if you have a computer with PuTTy connected to your test router that's also on the 192.168.1.X network, then you can enter the M700's IP address, select the Telnet option and then Open the connection. Then the terminal window should allow entering the DHCP command mentioned in the thread above.

View attachment 3119
Very cool. Will try that. Thanks!

Very cool. Will try that. Thanks!
Hope it works out. FYI, when you select telnet in PuTTy it defaults to port 23 and then you have to manually update the port to 10000. Because of that, I had an incorrect screen grab in my post above, but I've now updated that with an edited/corrected image

Thank you! You probably saved me hours of frustration.

After finding that the M700 wasn’t at the expected address, I was able to telnet in and set network to DHCP which was reflected on the M700 immediately. Now to hook up the box back to production network and see if I can continue.

Ok. M700 now has proper address but cannot connect to server so now I have another problem to figure out.

Do I have to do something from the server side?

<yup> I think I might be good to go!

I’m operational and scanned a BluRay. Now just have figure out where/when I see cataloged discs

Just to document the reset command for others:

01/1/SET_NETWORK_SETTINGS:0::::::

This sets the network configuration back to DHCP. It must be all caps and the number of colons is important.

Back